How long do PV modules last?

Many people wonder how long PV modules last. Most opinions are based on speculation. In my case, I have some experience: my oldest PV module is now 30 years old. I recently ran some electrical tests on the old PV module. To read what I found out, click the link:
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/testing-thirty-year-old-photovoltaic-module

Comments

• CaptTurbo
    CaptTurbo Solar Expert Posts: 66 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: How long do PV modules last?

That was fun reading and great first post! Thanks.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I know of some 53 year old modules in a backyard in southern california!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i have a solarex module that is 27 years old this year. i don't even remember its ratings, but i think it was a 9w pv. i'll have to dig that up one day and test it to see how it's doing.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I always wondered about that too, especially with all the new thin film panels on the market lord knows how long they'll last. @_@
  • niel

i have an old thin film too that was sandwiched between 2 panes of glass. that one isn't weatherable as the ends are vulnerable to water infiltration and i bought that one in the late 80s. i remember it was putting out roughly 1.25a at 12v when i got a hold of it.
  • Jerry
    Jerry Registered Users Posts: 19
    I know of some 53 year old modules in a backyard in southern california!

53 years old, OMG, are they still work?

• niel

they may fold back on some of their power, but they will last in excess of 20yrs easily.
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Jerry wrote: »
    53 years old, OMG, are they still work?

The technology has existed for much longer than 50 years, only recently has efficiency improved to make it economically feasible.

From Wikipedia...

"... Russell Ohl patented the modern junction semiconductor solar cell in 1946... "

The exploration and explotation of outer space in the 1960s depended on solar cells. Telstar comes to mind.
  • Jerry
    Jerry Registered Users Posts: 19
    Kamala wrote: »
    The technology has existed for much longer than 50 years, only recently has efficiency improved to make it economically feasible.

From Wikipedia...

"... Russell Ohl patented the modern junction semiconductor solar cell in 1946... "

The exploration and explotation of outer space in the 1960s depended on solar cells. Telstar comes to mind.

Thanks for sharing, It is great to know since I am working in a Module and Inverter manufactory rencelty.