saft batteries?

cizzi
cizzi Solar Expert Posts: 109 ✭✭✭✭
I'm looking for pricing information on saft batteries for renewable energy systems.. the sunica.plus series to be more specific, I left a message to the USA office in CT but didnt get a call back yet. Any of you familiar with these batteries? the specs look like the highest grade of deep cycle battery i've ever seen so I'm expecting to pay a premium for them.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: saft batteries?

don't be too quick to jump. they seem to be more geared for self-promotion than product and the lack of reply may be a good indicator too. i know i ran into the name in the past and it escapes me how, but we would need more details on the products with pricing and not their financial reports and pics of the chairman.:roll:
    if you hear from them let us know.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Here is a thread from a year ago:

"SAFT NIFE" brand batteries

You can click on this google search link and find a few other random discussions about them here on the forum.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

thanks bill as i knew i saw it before. now what was i gonna say bout my memory?:cry::p
  • cizzi

These are the specs that caught my eye

Benefits

Sunica.plus offers a number advantages beyond the limits of conventional batteries:

* operation in extreme temperatures: -20 °C to +50 °C (but can tolerate extremes of temperatures of -50 °C to +70 °C)
    * long life-cycle
    * charge efficiency: performs at any charge of charge
    * cycling: achieves 8 000 cycles at 15% depth of discharge
    * low maintenance: more than 4 years without topping-up - specifically rated for discharge times from hours to days

Since I live in Canada we have this weather, and looking at the 8000 cycles at DOD Of 15% might be worth investing to get 20 year life cycle. I also like the caps you can screw in at the top of the vents to recombine the gases back into fluid automatically (although you can also do this with surrette/Rolls batteries).

Still waiting for pricing information from saft. Will try calling the head office in France.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

For what it's worth ...

I live in Canada where we have that weather. So does Icarus, Westbranch, RalphDay and a few others.
    We all use 'ordinary' deep cycle batteries without any trouble. So where's the advantage to these?
    I'm just saying you may be chasing a unicorn here, when you'd be better off riding a horse. :p
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Cizzi, what do you plan to use them for? Loads?
    Try the Canadian rep in Calgary if you can locate them.
    I am away from home right now so do not have access to my old emails. will try to remember to look when I get back.
    I got through to them from the main SAFT global site, rep locator
    ej

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • cizzi

well yes loads, dont have the requirements yet as I'm not that far out yet in my project however the main reason I was looking at saft in the first place is for the cold weather support, meaning I wouldnt have to heat the battery bank storage shed in any way even for long periods of time
  • Cariboocoot

Westbranch;

I see by your sig that you're switching from the AGM's? What is the impetus for this? Do you think there's a good benefit to be had with the SAFT batteries? Price competitive?

I'm glad there's people out there who will take these risks so my bank account doesn't have to! :p
  • Cariboocoot
    cizzi wrote: »
    well yes loads, dont have the requirements yet as I'm not that far out yet in my project however the main reason I was looking at saft in the first place is for the cold weather support, meaning I wouldnt have to heat the battery bank storage shed in any way even for long periods of time

Charged batteries do not freeze; there is no need to heat battery storage shed.
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭

This from last years post
    "Wet" ni-cads are often used in aircraft.

There are issues with "wet" Ni-cads. In the 70's the US Air force started using them and lost a bunch of airplanes due to "thermal runaway". They went back to Lead Acid on the transport AC. I was in the Coast Guard and we had a strict maintenance regime. We had to break the battery down to the cell level. Completely discharge each cell (load bank first then direct short). Then recharge using a very fancy charger. bench tested then reassembled into a battery.

"Wet" Ni-Cads will develop a memory if only partially discharged and recharged repeatedly.

I would NOT recommend "Wet" Ni-cads for a RE system dot to the high maintenance and the need to periodically completely discharge the batteries.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I have a bank of T-105's that sit in a remote, unheated shed 10 months a year, floated on a small array. As long as the batteries are at least partially charged they won't freeze. (If memory serves a 50% charge FLA batteries won't freeze at least until 30C. Fully charged won't freeze until near -60C)

Mine see -40 nearly every winter. Also, remember, batteries will generate considerable heat from charging and discharging. If you build a styro-foam enclosure around them and protect them from the wind, they will be ~10C warmer than ambient.

IMHO Stick with local suppliers of name brand batteries. I am still working with a set of t-105 that have been on line since ~1998.

Tony
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭

In the "old" days we, the flight engineer, would pull the battery out at remote bases and take it to bed with him! Remote being the Aleutian chain.

Ah yes ... Young, Dumb and Full of oops can't say that here. LOL
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Marc, not switching, adding. they were available at a minor cost to the wallet, much cheaper than a cheap deep cycle type FLA from CTire...
    Using them for light in the 'guest house' which is 'summer' use only.
    2 sets spent the winter there, without any solar charging so far, and still at near full charge. Get to give them a check out again this coming weekend.

ej

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • joeaksa
    joeaksa Solar Expert Posts: 39

We use Saft batteries in aircraft I work with as well, but usually in 24v versions.

Have to change them out every year due to regs but there is nothing wrong with the batteries. I give them to a friend of mine who uses them in his RV bus.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    joeaksa wrote: »
    We use Saft batteries in aircraft I work with as well, but usually in 24v versions.

Have to change them out every year due to regs but there is nothing wrong with the batteries. I give them to a friend of mine who uses them in his RV bus.

Nice joeaksa. Your a generous person. You give them to your friend because you think he needs it. Someday I want to have saft batteries in my aircraft. ;)