Question about PV electrical inspection in northern AZ

Options
Hi, this may be a dumb question or the wrong place to ask, but I'm new at this and can't find the answer online anywhere else...

I would like to put in a PV system into a cabin that I'm building in Navajo county. Am I allowed to do the work (design and installation) myself, or do I have to hire someone to do this? I don't have a license, but I do have multiple EE degrees and 20 years of experience including some power system design (converters and HV particle accelerator) and have been playing with solar since I was 6 (thank you radio shack).

I could probably pay $1k and take the test...that's plan B.

Thanks for any information.

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Question about PV electrical inspection in northern AZ
    azrc wrote: »
    Hi, this may be a dumb question or the wrong place to ask, but I'm new at this and can't find the answer online anywhere else...

I would like to put in a PV system into a cabin that I'm building in Navajo county. Am I allowed to do the work (design and installation) myself, or do I have to hire someone to do this? I don't have a license, but I do have multiple EE degrees and 20 years of experience including some power system design (converters and HV particle accelerator) and have been playing with solar since I was 6 (thank you radio shack).

I could probably pay $1k and take the test...that's plan B.

Thanks for any information.

How about doing the work yourself and having a licensed electrician approve it for you for a nominal fee? Are you in the APS service zone? They will rebate for some off grid installations but require a licensed electrician and permits.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options

In California the homeowner can do all the work themselves and pull their own permits for single-family residential - for multi-family or commercial someone with a license needs to be involved.

As long as you can whip up some simple diagrams to satisfy the inspectors (Dept. of Building and Safety will usually have standard forms that you can use) and pass inspection then normally you can do any work you want on your own house.

AZ is probably the same.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

you can do it yourself i'm quite sure, but know what you're doing. as to inspections and following the nec, well i don't know if it applies to an indian reservation or not let alone for a cabin and i assume this is off grid. our sponsor may know more about this as he mentioned he started out doing just that on indian reservations. whether inspected or not, safety should be kept in mind in its installation.