Solar Power for Dock Lights and Boat Charging

Options
System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
I would like to design and install a 12V Solar system on a covered boat dock. I would like to run four low voltage landscape lights with a sensor that allows them to come on when it gets dark and a timer to shut them down at midnight. I would also like to keep the boat battery charged.

How can I get a design diagram that shows me the right size of solar panel, battery, charge controller, sensor, timer and how to hook them up.

I would appreciate your wisdom.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Newbie starting out--strictly a hobby project!

First need to know how much power you will require... Generally Watts * Hours measured with a kill-a-watt meter (for AC power) or a Amp*Hour/Watt*hour meter for DC loads.

Also, landscape lights are nice--but can consume a fair amount of power. Motion controlled lights can be a better solution (better security for less power).

Depending on how much power you need, there are nice solar charge controllers designed for landscape lighting (~$100-$130 those below):

Sunlight solar lighting controller 10-amp 12 volt
    Sunlight solar lighting controller 10-amp 24 volt
    Sunlight Solar Lighting Charge Controller 20-amp 12 volt

You may be able to install solar panel array and share it between the boat and dock lighting--or you may end up having to have two arrays--One for the boat, the other for lighting (depends on how much power you want and controller type(s) installed).

Also, seasonal power is a question... Many places have 1/2 the sun or less in the winter--exactly when you may want more power. So, you get into questions does the lighting have to work 365 days a year, summer only, can it be "dark" during a week of stormy weather, etc.

Lots of questions.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    Options
    Re: Solar Power for Dock Lights and Boat Charging

By the way, I moved your questions to your own thread--Usually keeps things a bit easier as we can discuss your system and not get confused with other unrelated discussions.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dannyo
    Dannyo Registered Users Posts: 10
    Options

I have a solar panel on my boat house that works pretty good. I posted the specs somewhere on this forum. I power my boat lift, so I needed a relatively large inverter.

I have the Xantrex C12 Charge Controller. It also has a built-in lighting controller. I don't use that feature, but it may work for your circumstance. Per the description, "adjustable 2 to 8 hours or can be set from dusk to dawn operation."

From personal experience, I would not install a motion light. Once lit, the bugs will ensure that it will continue to be lit up all night long. It will kill your battery before morning. Maybe you could lower the sensitivity to suit your needs, but I would do some testing before permanently mounting it.
  • BB.
    Options

Dannyo's thread is here:

Please check my assumptions and logic

-Bill
  • Dannyo
    Dannyo Registered Users Posts: 10
    Options

Actually BB, that thread was my original plan, but it was altered. There is a thread called "Basic assistance for PV on Boat Dock" It was created by somebody else, but I responded with my specs.

one 125 amp hour deep cycle marine battery from Walmart
    one 65 watt Kyocera panel
    Xantrex c12 charge controller
    Vector 3,000 watt modified sine inverter
    I built my own mounting bracket for the panel. I used punched L brackets purchased at Home Depot.
  • BB.
    Options

That thread is:

Basic assistance for PV on Boat Dock

-Bill