Solar Array Wiring and Requirements

Options
quique
quique Solar Expert Posts: 259 ✭✭
I currently have 2-210W solar panels in parallel (each 12V-17.5A) for an array of 12V-34A. I have a12V-30A charge controller loading a battery bank made of 8-6V-batteries. The 3kW-15A inverter wires into my auxiliary breaker panel via an ITS-30 Automatic Switch. I like the setup and it works fine so far. I just power up my inverter when the bank is fully charged and when it alerts me the voltage is low, i turn it off and switch back automatically to grid power.

1) My dad has 2 solar panels, 280W panels of 36V & 7.7Amps. A friend told me it was ok to use a 36V solar panel to run through a charge controller and charge a 12V battery bank. I have another 12V-30A CC, but im afraid 36V solar panel might FRY my 12V charge controller, because its a 12V CC which would be getting charge from a 36V array. Would this be the case?

2) Another option is that I have 2 extra 210W panels, same as the 2 currently in use. They are 12V & 17.5A solar panels, in parallel running thru a 12V-30A CController. If i connect my 2 new 210W panels in parallel, i get 12V & 35A again, like before. I have the extra CC fo 12-30A which should work fine as the existing setup. But how would i take current from the new CC to the existing battery bank? Currently my wiring is 4 pairs of batteries for a 12V set. The terminals from the CC go to the 1st and 3rd pair of batteries and the terminals from the inverter are on the same 1st and 3rd set. Would i want to wire the new terminals from the new CC to the 2nd and 4th pairs of batteries?

3) This all seems complicated, 2 charge controllers. Id like to have a larger charge controller. However as much as i can find online is 60A. Why is it so uncommon to have larger CC? What if eventually i want to have like 12 solar panels to run my complete house and stuff!? I would need 1 CC per 2-solar panels, id need 6! That just seems inefficient. Furthermore, the battery bank will still be 12V. My inverter is rated at 3kW and 15A cont-30A startup. If i am using 2 CC @ 30A each to load my batteries, thats separate from the amperage rating of my inverter right? My inverter amperage rating just means how much Amps it can put out, regardless of my battery bank and CC, right? So i guess i would also need to get a larger inverter and again i find 3kW and maybe some 5kW inverters max! So once more, if i have 12 solar panels and 6 CC, would i need 6 inverters as well?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar Array Wiring and Requirements

First off, your existing charge controller is at its limit: 420 Watts @ 14.2 Volts charging = 29.5 Amps maximum current potential.

Second, no you don't want to hook 36 Volt panels to a 12 Volt system if the charge controller is of the PWM or shunt type. An MPPT controller will down-convert the higher Voltage to more current; the other types won't.

Third, if you want to attach more than one charge controller to the same battery bank you can (separate fuses). The two controllers will not fight each other, and it is the best way to combine dissimilar panels. The largest single charge controller commonly available is the Outback FM80, which will handle 80 Amps at 12, 24, or 48 Volts output.

Assuming your batteries are the standard 225 Amp/hr units, you have four parallel sets which is 900 Amp hours. There is no way your existing panels are properly charging that much battery: 900 Amp/hrs @ 5% minimum charge current = 45 Amps. 10% (90 Amps) is better. I suggest you immediately measure the Specific Gravity in your batteries and do whatever is necessary to get them all up to 1.275 before it's too late (if not already).

I also suggest you redesign your system, starting with calculating and reducing loads as much as possible. What are you using it for? Basically you have twice as much battery capacity as any 12 Volt system should have, and if you really need that high a potential power capacity you should consider upping the system Voltage.

It's all about calculating real loads (Kill-A-Watt meter or similar) which determine the size of your inverter & battery bank. The size of the battery bank will determine what you need for panels and charge controller(s). But you have to get the loads figured out first.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    quique wrote: »
    1) My dad has 2 solar panels, 280W panels of 36V & 7.7Amps. A friend told me it was ok to use a 36V solar panel to run through a charge controller and charge a 12V battery bank. I have another 12V-30A CC, but im afraid 36V solar panel might FRY my 12V charge controller, because its a 12V CC which would be getting charge from a 36V array. Would this be the case?
    It depends on the charge controller... You need to check the input specifications.

If it is a PWM controller, you are wasting a tremendous amount of power from the panels. You are probably in the efficiency range of:
    • 14.4 volts battery charger / 36 volts panel = 0.4 or 40%
    If this is a properly rated MPPT type charge controller (more expensive type charge controller)--then you are just fine.
    2) Another option is that I have 2 extra 210W panels, same as the 2 currently in use. They are 12V & 17.5A solar panels, in parallel running thru a 12V-30A CController. If i connect my 2 new 210W panels in parallel, i get 12V & 35A again, like before. I have the extra CC fo 12-30A which should work fine as the existing setup. But how would i take current from the new CC to the existing battery bank? Currently my wiring is 4 pairs of batteries for a 12V set. The terminals from the CC go to the 1st and 3rd pair of batteries and the terminals from the inverter are on the same 1st and 3rd set. Would i want to wire the new terminals from the new CC to the 2nd and 4th pairs of batteries?
    Just connect the 2nd charge controller with relatively heavy wiring directly to the battery bank at the same point as the first charge controller (in parallel). Each controller should have its own properly rated fuse/breaker to protect against shorts.

When you parallel connect batteries--It is important that they all have the same length/gauge wiring to the +/- bus or common connections so they properly share charge/discharge current.

Battery Bank Wiring
    3) This all seems complicated, 2 charge controllers. Id like to have a larger charge controller. However as much as i can find online is 60A. Why is it so uncommon to have larger CC? What if eventually i want to have like 12 solar panels to run my complete house and stuff!? I would need 1 CC per 2-solar panels, id need 6! That just seems inefficient. Furthermore, the battery bank will still be 12V. My inverter is rated at 3kW and 15A cont-30A startup. If i am using 2 CC @ 30A each to load my batteries, thats separate from the amperage rating of my inverter right? My inverter amperage rating just means how much Amps it can put out, regardless of my battery bank and CC, right? So i guess i would also need to get a larger inverter and again i find 3kW and maybe some 5kW inverters max! So once more, if i have 12 solar panels and 6 CC, would i need 6 inverters as well?
    It does get complicated and expensive to build out a solar RE power system... Somethings that help:
    As your power needs (and charging currents) get larger, it is usually better to go with a higher voltage battery bank... Look at 24 or 48 vdc bank. This reduces the current to 1/2 or 1/4 that of a 12 volt system.

Charge controllers (typically larger MPPT type) are rated in amps out... At higher voltages, the charge controllers can manage 2x or 4x the panels at higher voltages:
    • 15 volts * 60 amps = 900 watts of panels
    • 30 volts * 60 amps = 1,800 watts of panels
    • 60 volts * 60 amps = 3,600 watts of panels
    Modern MPPT type charge controllers are a bit on the complex side--so you have to read the specifications in detail to insure that you connect them correctly.

In general, you don't want to pull much more than 1,200 watts or so from 12 volt system (inverters, direct DC loads, or charge controllers)... Or more than ~2,400 watts from a 24 volt system. If you go larger, the currents become very large--requiring lots of copper for wiring and very large/expensive fuses/breakers. For example, at 5,000 watts:
    • 5,000 watts * 1/10.5 volts cutoff * 1/0.80 inv efficiency * 1.25 NEC safety factor = 744 amp circuit minimum
    Plus issues of voltage drop and wiring losses make it very difficult to send 12 volts very far vs a similar 48 volt system.

Because of these, and other factors, it is actually quite difficult to "grow" an off-grid solar RE power system. Many of the components have to be swapped out as you increase system size/rating. Higher voltage battery bank, higher voltage inverters (and sometimes new charge controllers and even solar panels to meet the new voltage requirements).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • quique
    Options

Cariboocoot:

1) Yes, i know the CC is at its limit. Thats why im asking about the 2 options, a second CC or a larger Amp CC?

2) If the largest CC is 80A, than it means that when wiring more than 2 panels, you always need to use more CC?

3) I have 8 batteries of 6V each, how do you get 900Amps from that? The battery bank as read by the CC is always at around 13.4 when not used and its midday or midafternoon.

4) Currently i use it for light, fans, and all 120V electronics like laptops, desk lamps, etc. But only when the inverter is on. Remember they are tucked away behind the ITS switch. Normally i let the bank charge during the day, when i go back home at 5pm, i power up the inverter, this sends current to the ITS switch which detects an alternative power source, so it shuts out the grid power and lets the inverter power flow in. This power goes to the aux breaker panel i have which only has ceiling fans and lights and some 120V power outlets where i connect laptop, tvs, night lamps and such small stuff. Ive run the numbers before, the bank gets fully charged and its depleted at the amount of hours its supposed to be depleted because the inverter shuts off at 50% battery capacity. I calculated battery capacity at 200Amps x 6V = 1200W x 8 = 9600Watts, but the inverter lets me use 50% = 4500W.

Normally i run 3 ceiling fans (100W/e), maybe 4 lights (25W/e), 2 tvs (100W/e) which is 600W per hour. This makes my battery bank last approx 8 hours which is right! Then during the day it recharges because currently i have 2 solar panels @ 210W = 420 x 7hrs = 2940W a day. And normally i let it rest for a day in between. So by the next day its ready to go again! Which is why i want to up it to 4 solar panels, so i can use it everyday.

ps i didnt understand the calculations you made for the 5% and 10%?

BB:

1) Both CC are MPPT so ok, i get it, 36V will be downconverted to 12V @ higher amperage. But ok, i understand now that when you wire up more solar panels, you need more CC.

2) So it wouldnt be more efficient to have the 2CC leads go into a different terminal battery pair? Its more a matter of how many leads you can actually get into the same terminal without it getting unconfmortable if not impossible. And should the leads from the CC always go to the terminals where the leads from the inverter go out from?

3) Finally, if i plan to go further than 4 solar panels of 210W each (840W), then you recommend i up the battery bank by making 2 battery quartets, making the system 24V? And so i would need a 24V inverter and 24V CC? Or 48 if it should be the case?
  • BB.
    Options
    2) If the largest CC is 80A, than it means that when wiring more than 2 panels, you always need to use more CC?
    Realistically, you could justify on a 12 volt battery bank and 80 amp controller:
    • 14.4 volts * 80 amps * 1/0.77 typical derating = 1,496 watts aprox. of solar panels
    So, for 210 watt panels:
    • 1,496 watts / 210 watts of panels = 7 panels in series or series / parallel
    You can put two or possibly three panels in series, then stack them up in parallel and support 6 panels cost efficiently with an 80 amp controller on a 12 volt battery bank. (the 77% derating accounts for typical panel and charge controller losses in real life--In cool, very sunny weather, you might do better--But those are few and far between and the MPPT charge controller will simply limit the maximum current to 80 amps even if the panels can provide more power).
    3) I have 8 batteries of 6V each, how do you get 900Amps from that? The battery bank as read by the CC is always at around 13.4 when not used and its midday or midafternoon.
    I think he is reffering to total Amp*Hour storage capacity of the battery bank. I am not sure where he got 900 AH (from another post/thread of yours?). For a 8x 6volt @ 200 Amp battery--Your bank capacity would be 800 AH (series connections add voltage, parallel connections add current).
    4) ...I calculated battery capacity at 200Amps x 6V = 1200W x 8 = 9600Watts, but the inverter lets me use 50% = 4500W.
    Energy is in Watt*Hours... So, if you have 8x 6v @ 200 AH batteries setup for 12 volts, then:
    • 800 AH * 12 volts = 9,600 Watt*Hours of bank capacity
    Normally, you don't want to go much below 50% state of charge (for longer battery life)--so that leaves you with 4,500 WH of useful energy storage.

The inverter may, or may not, be able to accurately warn/turn off at 50% battery capacity. You really should measure the specific gravity of your battery bank (after a few hours of rest) and see what the actual state of charge is... If you do this wrong, you can quickly kill your expensive battery bank.
    Normally i run 3 ceiling fans (100W/e), maybe 4 lights (25W/e), 2 tvs (100W/e) which is 600W per hour. This makes my battery bank last approx 8 hours which is right! Then during the day it recharges because currently i have 2 solar panels @ 210W = 420 x 7hrs = 2940W a day. And normally i let it rest for a day in between. So by the next day its ready to go again! Which is why i want to up it to 4 solar panels, so i can use it everyday.
    • 600 watts * 8 hours = 4,800 Watt*Hours
    Note, that Amp*Hour ratings are frequently in at the 20 Hour Rate... If you discharge your bank faster, then the apparent storage capacity will be less (check your battery spec. sheet for 10 hour, 8 hour, 2 hour, etc. rates).
    ps i didnt understand the calculations you made for the 5% and 10%?
    Typical "optimum charging" for a battery bank is 5%-13% of the 20 Hour Bank capacity... Too low, you may have problems equalizing or getting the batteries fully charged. Too high, a waste of money and you could overheat the battery bank on charging (rough rules of thumbs, details do matter and change things).
    2) So it wouldnt be more efficient to have the 2CC leads go into a different terminal battery pair? Its more a matter of how many leads you can actually get into the same terminal without it getting unconfmortable if not impossible. And should the leads from the CC always go to the terminals where the leads from the inverter go out from?
    Read how to wire a battery bank link I provided... In general, your "common bus point" should be able to handle 125% of your maximum current loads. Picking charging/loading points on different points of the battery bank just makes things confusing and difficult to see if there are design/safety problems.
    3) Finally, if i plan to go further than 4 solar panels of 210W each (840W), then you recommend i up the battery bank by making 2 battery quartets, making the system 24V? And so i would need a 24V inverter and 24V CC? Or 48 if it should be the case?

Larger MPPT charge controllers can typically be programmed/setup to charge any battery bank between 12 and 48 volts... So you can migrate those to a different battery bank voltage/setup.

And, yes, you would need new inverter(s) if you change the battery bank voltage.

Regarding wiring the bank--read the thread link. And for safety, you need to protect all of your wiring with proper fuses/breakers--Car sized batteries can output 1,000's of amps into a dead short. Bigger cells and parallel batteries can output much more.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    Options

Also, I should add that you are probably a bit optimistic on your harvest numbers:
    2 solar panels @ 210W = 420 x 7hrs = 2940W a day

If you are near Tampa FL--You would expect (on average) between 4.2 and 6.5 hours of full sun per year--depending on month/time of year.

Also, you have losses from "real world" performance numbers... A typical number of 0.52 derating for a solar panel + charge controller + battery + inverter (yep, 1/2 of your "energy" is lost):
    • 4.2 hours * 420 watts of panels * 0.52 = 917 WH (December)
    • 6.5 hours * 420 watts of panels * 0.52 = 1,420 WH (April)
    That is useful AC power at the output of your inverter... So, roughly your 600 watt loads can run 1.5 to 2.5 hours per "average day" with your current 420 watts of solar panels--depending on season, weather, etc...

Of course, these are average numbers--sometimes you may do better, and sometimes you may do worse.

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Cariboocoot:

1) Yes, i know the CC is at its limit. Thats why im asking about the 2 options, a second CC or a larger Amp CC?

Normally you don't build a 12V system larger than 1000 Watts: 60 Amps @ 14.2 Volts = 852 Watts of panel. That would be about 1065 Watts 'nameplate' rating and would supply approximately 3 kW hours per day. This would typically go with a 1 kW or 1.5 kW inverter, possibly 2 kW. If you need more daily power or higher Wattage at any one time it is much better to increase the system Voltage, as that keeps the current levels down and the efficiency up.

You're getting wrapped up in Voltage here where you need to look at Amp/hrs. Eight 6 Volt batteries configured for a 12 Volt system is four parallel sets of two in series. Each one of these batteries is usually 225 Amp/hrs. The series connections add Voltage, the parallel ones add Amp/hrs. Thus you have 4 @ 225 = 900 Amp/hrs of battery bank capacity @ 12 Volts nominal.
    <moved> ps i didnt understand the calculations you made for the 5% and 10%?

The recommended charge current for a battery bank is 5% to 13% of its total Amp/hr capacity. This helps prevent sulphation. I usually recommend 10% as we don't disconnect loads while charging and the net charge rate is the gross minus the loss to loads. You need a margin to account for that. 10% of 900 Amp/hrs is 90 Amps, and as you can see your at about 1/3 that level and one controller won't let you go higher than the aforementioned 60 or 80 Amps.
    4) Currently i use it for light, fans, and all 120V electronics like laptops, desk lamps, etc. But only when the inverter is on. Remember they are tucked away behind the ITS switch. Normally i let the bank charge during the day, when i go back home at 5pm, i power up the inverter, this sends current to the ITS switch which detects an alternative power source, so it shuts out the grid power and lets the inverter power flow in. This power goes to the aux breaker panel i have which only has ceiling fans and lights and some 120V power outlets where i connect laptop, tvs, night lamps and such small stuff. Ive run the numbers before, the bank gets fully charged and its depleted at the amount of hours its supposed to be depleted because the inverter shuts off at 50% battery capacity. I calculated battery capacity at 200Amps x 6V = 1200W x 8 = 9600Watts, but the inverter lets me use 50% = 4500W.

Recharging is more than just replacing the "used" Amp/hrs. That's the easy part. What you're going to find is that your battery bank will sulphate and die prematurely because the charge current isn't high enough to prevent it. The Number 1 problem we see with solar set ups is too much battery for too little panel. It doesn't show up until it's too late; the batteries' capacity diminishes over time and one night you notice there's no more power because that 900 Amp/hr bank's plates are coated with sulphur and its functional capacity is about 90 Amp/hrs.

What you've got is: 900 Amp/hrs @ 50% Depth Of Discharge (maximum) = 450 Amp/hrs @ 12 Volts nominal = 5400 Watt hours. What your panels could 'harvest' each day: 420 Watts @ 80% efficiency = 336 Watts usable * 4 hours 'good sun' = 1344 Watts. About 1/4 your battery bank capacity. And that's just the 'basic' calculations; no site specific adjustments for insolation or system losses.

Right now you should find your four best batteries and take the other four out of the equation, as your existing panels could just barely handle 450 Amp/hrs.
  • quique
    Options

Yes im sorry, my panels are 18V and 11.7A. So yes, i have 23A in a 30A CC.

Here is my aux panel wiring. AuxPanel.jpg

The four breakers receive the wiring from the home circuits. Those home circuits were disconnected from the MAIN BREAKER PANEL (MBP) and strung over to the new AUX PANEL (AP).

There are 6 white, 8 gauge wires:

1. FROM MBP in from the right side and connects to the top small bus (which i think is the neutral bus).

2. FROM MBP, in from the right side and crosses over to the left outlet out to the Iota ATS.

3. FROM Iota ATS, in from bottom left and loops up and over to the main screw on the center hot bus (right) of the AP.

4. FROM Iota ATS, in from bottom left and loops up and over to the main scew on the top bus (right) which i think is the neutral as i said before.

5. FROM Iota ATS, in from bottom left and loops up and over to the bar of the top bus which is i think is the netural bus.

6. FROM the main screw on the center hot bus(right) to the main screw on the top hot bus (on left).

Im about to call my electrician to refresh my memory.

Basically the ATS has 2 wires coming from the inverter output which are individual hot and neutral).

It has 2 wires coming from the AP i dont remember but if you look above, there are 3 wires coming in from the bottom left of the AP, and a 4th one that crosses in from the MBP (total 4 wires). 2 must be from the aux panel directly, 1 from the MBP and the last one must be shared, if i recall correctly its the shared neutral.

and 2 wires coming from the MBP (the hot one that runs thru the bottom of the AP and i dont remember its neutral).
  • quique
    Options

I dont understand what you mean by 117ah being 5% and then 234ah. Where are u getting those numbers from? :-)

sorry about this. Somehow my post showed up in the advanced solar tech section as well! I got the email alerting me I had a new reply, I logged in and replied to where I had posted, which is here in the Beginners Corner. So this reply belongs to the same duplicated post but to a reply from a user in the Advanced section.
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Options

I'm not am electrician but I have done some house wiring. Hot wires should be colored black. I see a green wire connected to a breaker. Green should be safety ground only. Same wire also appears to have electrical tape on it. I think wire nuts are better for splices.

Finally, it looks like the wires enter the box through bare metal holes without strain relief. I think this is dangerous. But then I'm not an electrician.
    ... (which i think is the neutral bus). ...

You should not guess. Be certain.

K
  • quique
    Options

I agree with all your comments. However this setup was already made when i arrived at this apt. I happen to know the electrician who set it up and that is why i called him to meet and have him explain to me what each wire is.

I agree about the coloring and splices and the being certain part. Which is why im researching all this stuff before i do anything.

Thx for the tips. Highly appreciated.
  • BB.
    Options

You might want to bring an assortment of colored tape (wrap around a few inches of each wire) and/or bring some sort of tags to label them when the electrician drops by.

-Bill
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Options

I took another look at the photo in post #8. There are wires that enter the box through a mounting hole! And you say an electrician did this?! I might be able to accept the wrong color code or even the taped splice. But not that entry.

K