Newbie Questions

rrs26ja
rrs26ja Registered Users Posts: 5
I am looking to install a PV system on my roof and have the following questions:

1. Solar technology changes daily. We have 3 new PV cell suppliers in my area in the last 2 years. Some of them claim their technology will dramatically change PV panel efficiency. Should I wait 1-2 years before purchasing panels?

2. Is Sunpower panels worth the extra money vs. Suntech or Schoot?

3. Is $6.00/watt the average cost of installation prior to rebates?

4. What is the best inverter on the market?

5. What are REC credits? Why have some installers told me about these and others have not?

6. Why is there a difference on when your install anniversary is? One of the installers said there is an advantage to having the anniversary date in March vs July. I don't under why. If in a year I generate 11kW and I use 9 kW I should get a credit or check from my power company for 2kW times the cost kW hr that the power company charges. Is this right?

7. What kind of things should I look for in a bid or from an installer?

Thanks for your help

Ron

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Newbie Questions
    rrs26ja wrote: »
    I am looking to install a PV system on my roof and have the following questions:

1. Solar technology changes daily. We have 3 new PV cell suppliers in my area in the last 2 years. Some of them claim their technology will dramatically change PV panel efficiency. Should I wait 1-2 years before purchasing panels?

2. Is Sunpower panels worth the extra money vs. Suntech or Schoot?

3. Is $6.00/watt the average cost of installation prior to rebates?

4. What is the best inverter on the market?

5. What are REC credits? Why have some installers told me about these and others have not?

6. Why is there a difference on when your install anniversary is? One of the installers said there is an advantage to having the anniversary date in March vs July. I don't under why. If in a year I generate 11kW and I use 9 kW I should get a credit or check from my power company for 2kW times the cost kW hr that the power company charges. Is this right?

7. What kind of things should I look for in a bid or from an installer?

Thanks for your help

Ron

My 2 cents worth:
    1) technology will always get better, faster, cheaper. Your criteria should be does this make financial sense.

3) I can get under $6.00 a watt here in AZ, however low bid is not always a good thing
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

2> i would say no unless you are so cramped for room that you must go with a very high efficiency rating. the watts from a sunpower pv are the same watts as any other pv.

4> there isn't any best inverter and do know that there are various types out there too, for if you want to grid tie then you certainly are not going to want a 300w modsine inverter no matter the quality of that modsine inverter. there are some good brands out there, but even then it could boil down to what you may decide looks or feels better to you. in some cases it could be your personal preference as some could have very similar features. price may also factor into it, but realize you won't find one for $100 to do the job of a $2000 inverter.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

All the equipment is getting to be pretty much commodities. Not much difference in features or quality. An important consideration though is whether the companies are going to be around for the next 20 years that the warranties are supposed to cover. The solar industry is in flux and I figure most of the companies (even some of the well established ones) won't be here some day. Go with the companies that you think will be here in the long run. I currently use SMA and CSI.