Go power inverter

Options
JESSICA
JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭
Greetings

As some of you may remember, my Exeltechs failed and I had to buy a new inverter. Following some recommendation, I bought a GO POWER (SW 2000 model). The unit was delivered 2 weeks ago.

What did I find?... Mediocre!

The inverter is advertised as a 115 volts unit (3% margin), but it only produces 109 volts, before loads are connected! When I plugged a small microwave oven (Kenmore, 800 watts; 9.5 amps. max.) voltage dropped to 105.

Well, I guess everybody makes mistakes; mine cost me $800.

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Go power inverter

I am curious to know how the Exeltech's failed - they are pretty close to bulletproof.
  • JESSICA
    Options
    Windsun wrote: »
    I am curious to know how the Exeltech's failed - they are pretty close to bulletproof.

Elsewhere in this forum I have posted the full story. In short: The first Exeltech failed after just one year of use; it just stopped working. The manufacturer sent me a rebuilt unit, which lasted exactly one year, until a very discourteous roach entered it.

P.S.: Maybe the case is bulletproof; internal components are as fragile as life is.
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options

JESSICA what are you using to measure the inverter output voltage?
    Also what capacity batteries are you using?
    What voltage input is the inverter?
    what gauge wiring are you using from the battery/ies to the inverter?
    What type of connectors are on the battery/inverter wires?
    What is the length of the battery/ies to inverter wires?

You cant really blame a inverter failure on vermin entering and creating problems.
  • JESSICA
    Options
    john p wrote: »
    JESSICA what are you using to measure the inverter output voltage?
    Also what capacity batteries are you using?
    What voltage input is the inverter?
    what gauge wiring are you using from the battery/ies to the inverter?
    What type of connectors are on the battery/inverter wires?
    What is the length of the battery/ies to inverter wires?

You cant really blame a inverter failure on vermin entering and creating problems.

John p:

Answers:
    1. Kill-a Watt device and Craftman multimeter.
    2. Interstate, 6 volt, 105 amp. (4 of them) [Note: They performed superbly with both Exeltechs and with the old Aims msw.]
    3. 24 volts.
    4. 2/0; 4 feet
    5. Crimped and then soldered
    6. 4 feet

Regarding blaming vermin: Somebody told me that; but the vast majority of participants in this Forum seems to think otherwise.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have an exeltech I plan to use. I think I am going to check it over real close and make sure no bugs can get in and blow mine up. Them japanese ladybugs are plentiful here in Pa. There is a member here that got his charge controler fried by the ladybug getting inside.

I had a satelite receiver that the ladybug fried for me. I vote the bug probably fryed himself then fryed your exeltech.
    S:Dlarvic
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options

Cockroaches and tiny mice can just about get into electronic equipment through the smallest space. the acid in the mouths of mice eats copper away.

JESSICA mabe the batteries are not all charged up evenly??have you ever checked the voltage across each battery when charging and when under load?Then checked the input voltage to the inverter under load at the inverter input?
    The battery amphr rating is I think low for running a 800w microwave if you add the 800w plus the inverters 15%loss thats 920w.. At 24v thats 38 amps.
    If you take the max rating of the inverter its 9.5a at 120v thats 1140w if then that rating is used then if inverter loss added total is 1310w at 24 v thats 54amps
    Most deep cycle batteries at rated at the 20hr. if you draw over 50amps then in theory the battery totally discharged in less than 2 hrs. And at that rate of discharge would not have a ahr better than mabe 60ahr.
  • JESSICA
    Options
    john p wrote: »

JESSICA mabe the batteries are not all charged up evenly??have you ever checked the voltage across each battery when charging and when under load?Then checked the input voltage to the inverter under load at the inverter input?

To be honest, no, I haven't. But I will, and then I will inform the results here.
    Nevertheless: The readings I posted were all taken at 12:00 noon, when batteries were fully charged and my mx60 read "float". No other appliance was in use. In the same conditions, just 3 or 4 months ago, my now dead Exeltech never dropped below 117/116 volts.

Thanks.

P.S.: Microwave was on for just six (6) minutes, time required (with new inverter) to reheat some food (rice and beans). Time needed with previous inverters: around 2.5 minutes. (MSW required more.)
  • Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭
    Options

Jessica,

I have been using my go power 1500 24v 24/7 since september 08 with no problems. It runs my entire house and is connected to 1040Ah of batteries. I will check my voltage when I run my ac unit that pulls 600w and see if how the voltage reacts on my killawatt meter.

cheers...
    Damani
  • JESSICA
    Options
    Dapdan wrote: »
    Jessica,

I have been using my go power 1500 24v 24/7 since september 08 with no problems. It runs my entire house and is connected to 1040Ah of batteries. I will check my voltage when I run my ac unit that pulls 600w and see if how the voltage reacts on my killawatt meter.

cheers...
    Damani

Dapdan:

According to the manufacturer's manuals, your go power inverter (SW1500) is a 120 volts unit, or comes equiped with a switch to select between 110, 115 or 120 volts. http://www.gpelectric.com/commonfiles/libraries/docs/manuals/M_GP-SW1500.pdf
    The model I bought (SW 2000) is advertised as a 115 volts, with no switch. But it produces only 109.6 volts (before loads are connected.)