connecting batteries

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
hi guys i am connecting up my batteries and am wondering what would be the best way i am using sure safe batteries 2v 275 amp and have wired them in series to give me a 24 volt system is it advisablem to wire in series and parrallel to give voltage and current thanks michael

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: connecting batteries
    michaelw wrote: »
    hi guys i am connecting up my batteries and am wondering what would be the best way i am using sure safe batteries 2v 275 amp and have wired them in series to give me a 24 volt system is it advisablem to wire in series and parrallel to give voltage and current thanks michael

Please don't take offense but ... there's insufficient information in your post to give any advice on.

12 2Volt 275 Amp/hr batteries in series is 24 Volts 275 Amp/hrs.

Series adds Voltage; parallel adds Amperage. Do you have a target capacity? You should! :D
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

if you need a 24v battery system then the only way to parallel would be to add another string of 12 2v 275ah cells.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

How many batteries/cells do you have?

Wire in series, increase the voltage, keeping the current (amperage) the same.

Wire in parallel, keeps the voltage the same, while raising the current (amperage.

The net result is the amount of power is the same regardless of how the batteries are configured. (Not counting system/wiring loses. In general higher voltage yields lower wiring loses)

Tony

PS I hope it is right this time!
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    icarus wrote: »
    How many batteries/cells do you have?

Wire in series, increase the voltage, keeping the current (amperage) the same.

Wire in parallel, keeps the current the same, while raising the voltage.

Think you mis-typed here Tony, it should be:

Wire in parallel keeps the voltage the same while increasing the current.
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭

Circuit elements connected in series each have equal current flowing through them. The voltage drop across each element is divided from the source according to the resistance of any given element.

Circuit elements connected in parallel always have the same voltage drop across them. The current flowing through each is divided from the source according to the resistance of each element.

Or more simply:
    Series - current equal, voltage divided.
    Parallel - current divided, voltage equal.

This is how I like to conceptualize the laws of Ohm & Kirchhoff. The perspective of this "conceptualization" is from the point of view of loads or sinks but also works for sources, especially if the resistances of all elements are equal. Which should always be the case for RE battery banks. Or PVs, for that matter.

K
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

OK, I have soft deleted the discussion on somebody's typos here...

Everyone happy?
    -Bill :D
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus

There, shown before god and country I show my foot of clay!

Tony
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

You don't see me pointing out every time someone uses "it's" (contraction of "it is") for "its" (possessive form of the pronoun "it") but yes, getting technical terms/phrasing right is important.

Perhaps in future we shall just send a PM to the poster vis any typos so they may correct it themselves and not turn it into a rather silly public display? :blush: Feeling a bit abashed myself.
  • icarus

Speaking only for myself,, feel free to note, even with humor, when I screw up. A bit of chiding now and agin is a good thing for me. Keeps me a bit sharper (oxymoron?) such that perhaps I then take the thyme to reed what I right to make sure its write!

I have little ego invested in any of this. As long as it's kept in the spirit of the forum,, feel free to cast a few stones. My glass house is passive solar and has tempered glass.

Tony