• dagr51
    dagr51 Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Mppt controller "wiping out" FM radio signal,, help

Tony, do you have a link for the radio?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

dagr51,
    just so you know, the internet radio was his solution to interference he experienced over the regular fm broadcast band from sources/causes yet to be narrowed down to as of yet. now if you want to know what he is listening to on the internet so you can too then that's different.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    dagr51 wrote: »
    Tony, do you have a link for the radio?

http://myine.com/ira/

Note the paper support is pretty poor (manual) and the on line support is also not there, but they have been very helpful via telephone. I had a bit of trouble with some "stations" (urls) not playing properly, but these were resolved with help from myine.

Be aware that the price varies wildly on line. I have seen prices from ~$80-~$200 for the sam unit. There are many stand alone internet table radios, some with conventional Am/Fm tuners in them as well, some with aux outputs to wire to a conventional stereo.

Hope this answers the question,

Tony
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i should add here that many fm stations are also broadcasting over the net for free. you will have to look them up individually by callsign to go to the station website if they have one and click on listen live. i did this with a station that i like that is out of my normal reception range.

tony,
    you might want to be sure the ones you were trying to pick up over the air don't have a free net access.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Niel,

All the "internet radio" (myine IRA) does is sign on to the url of anybody that is streaming audio, be it conventional radio, or internet only "radio" stations. These streams are all free. There is no subscription fees. It is just as if you are listening on your PC,, except you don't have to have the PC running.

In point of fact, all the "stations" that I listen to on the IRA, are just clones of the ones that I can't get very well over the air. (Plus a few that I like, just because I can get them)!

T.

I should add, the device is not limited to "radio" stations. It will pick up pod casts from nearly any source. For example, we listen to the PBS TV newshour on podcast since we don't have TV. Same with 60 minutes for example. The shear volume of stuff that is available on line, 24/7 world wide is absolutely amazing.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    you solved it by going around it, which as long as it works is fine. now as to the draw of the modem/router, 1000ma or 1a at 9v is 9w not counting efficiency losses. how do you figure it's less than 5w from 120vac?
    1000 mA is the maximum the power supply can put out; what it actually supplies depends on the load.
  • dagr51
    dagr51 Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭
    Hope this answers the question

Thanks, Tony. I have been streaming internet radio through my stereo system via my laptop so that I could listen to my hometown radio stations (mostly sports!) while I am at my hunting cabin, and this will mean I can continue to do that without having my computer running all the time.