Generator type connected to Xantrex 6048 Invertor

This is an off grid application does my generator need to have a transfer switch in it when being connected to the xantrex 6048?

Some generators come with a transfer switch and some come without a transfer, I am trying to determine what is required for the xantrex inverter connection.

If it is not needed does that mean I cannot use a generator with a transfer switch or will the transfer switch be a redundant feature that I will not use?

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Generator type connected to Xantrex 6048 Invertor
    hawanam wrote: »
    This is an off grid application does my generator need to have a transfer switch in it when being connected to the xantrex 6048?

Some generators come with a transfer switch and some come without a transfer, I am trying to determine what is required for the xantrex inverter connection.

If it is not needed does that mean I cannot use a generator with a transfer switch or will the transfer switch be a redundant feature that I will not use?

No ! and, No! and yes it will be redundant
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

The XW inverter/charger system does have its own transfer switch.

You might want the generator transfer switch if the genst is much larger than the 6kW XW inverter to power optional loads (like a large water pump//Air Conditioning) and/or you will be doing something special (two gensets, want the ability to bypass the XW for emergencies, etc.).

Define your needs and then figure out if you need the cost/complexity of a 2nd transfer switch. If your XW + Battery Bank is large enough to supply all your loads and you have one genset--there probably is no reason to add/use a second transfer switch. Plus, you may get some confusion about how to wire up the genset for XW remote control to autostart the genset.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    BB. wrote: »
    The XW inverter/charger system does have its own transfer switch.

You might want the generator transfer switch if the genst is much larger than the 6kW XW inverter to power optional loads (like a large water pump//Air Conditioning) and/or you will be doing something special (two gensets, want the ability to bypass the XW for emergencies, etc.).

Define your needs and then figure out if you need the cost/complexity of a 2nd transfer switch. If your XW + Battery Bnk is large enough to supply all your loads and you have one genset--there probably is no reason to add/use a second transfer switch. Plus, you may get some confusion about how to wire up the genset for XW remote control to autostart the genset.

-Bill

thank you Bill for this instructive feedback. Also thank you to all others that replied. In my case, the whole house load is around 3 kW. However, I do have a well that is to be wired at 220v, with 12 AMP average load. So, based on your explanation I could manage with the transfer switch in XW...
    However, you got me to think about emergency cases when I need to bypass the XW for service for example...(since I live in remote woods, nearest town is 30 miles away!)
    Thanks for opening my eyes, on such an issue.

Hawana M.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hawanna,

The XW system is equipped with an AC bypass that will allow inverter removal. The XW is also designed for field replacement of internals BTW. It really is redundent to have another switch but...
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• MichaelB
    MichaelB Registered Users Posts: 16

Im not sure this will help you but I had a similar ques for Xantrex and my 6048.

Tho I am on-grid I have the option of disconnecting the grid with a 400a knife switch and run on my own. That being said we have 2 geo units that require 40amps ea. plus the well pump making it close to 55amps. This taps out my 6048 tripping the breakers. When I ask Xantrex if I can use a 6K or 8K gen on AC2 they said yes and it will share power with what the solar is producing...However my breakers on the Midnite solar panel to the 6048 are max 60a so I will still trip under full demand.

I then ask can I put gen into its own breaker on the main bus panel and have the 6048 support it and sync with the gen sinewave.. YES you can

So even tho technically you dont need the xfer switch if you back feed your main directly and put in a breaker that is the Gen max output.

My next project after i get my 30% back from the irs this year is to add a second 6048 and parallel them to double my surge without need for generator.