Battery experience needed with unmarked Crown

bmet
bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
At the shop where I purchased the majority of my solar upgrade, they occasionally have inventory that doesn't move. In this case, it is a Crown battery which the shop says they will offer a sweet deal on.

It is a tall battery, with Crown safety labels, but no specifications listed that I can find. The shop says that it has a crack in the top of the case(so fine I couldn't see it), and that it could be used in a limited fashion. In comparing it's physical dimensions to other Crown products on hand, it appears to be somewhere in the 155-185 amp hour capacity. It has rope handles, and feels as if it weighs 100 pounds.

Currently I don't have enough panel to charge this battery(only 80 W), but if the deal was sweet enough I might be tempted to upgrade again. My use is light-duty. I'd keep the Crown by itself, but I'd appreciate any opinions about the crack. Also, is there some secret spot on the battery where its specs are printed? Thank you.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Battery experience needed with unmarked Crown

Regrettably, battery specs tend to come on a piece of paper that references the battery model number which is on a piece of paper that fell off the battery while it sat on the shelf for six years.

And there's the real problem; clearly this thing has been sitting around a long time. If the shop can't give you any data on it, it's scrap metal. Old, used, or otherwise "suspect" batteries are rarely worth sinking any money into.

Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree. :D
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Re: Battery experience needed with unmarked Crown

Thank you Cariboocoot,