What to do with leftover solar parts.

nsaspooknsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
I had a small panel, charge controller and a 12v7Ah cell in the workshop gathering dust. The small shed behind the house that I built a few years ago needed a light near the door inside.

The dreaded 2x4 solar mount. When the weather's nicer I plan to remove the panel, smooth out the wood and paint it to match.
5604332907_1a73ec6185_m.jpg
The bulb is a 24 volt led with a base the fits a small candelabra socket. It still works fine a 12 volts with less than 50mA of current draw.
5604918382_b7d389851a_m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nsaspook/sets/72157626339532305/show/

Comments

• CariboocootCariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭
    Re: What to do with leftover solar parts.

I did almost the same thing with the one remaining working panel from my original array. It charges an old boat battery in the gen shed to run a light in case I need to start the gen at night.

That 2x4 mount looks a tad unstable on the lateral. Couple of bits of 3/4 triangles would stiffen it up considerably.
  • nsaspooknsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
    I did almost the same thing with the one remaining working panel from my original array. It charges an old boat battery in the gen shed to run a light in case I need to start the gen at night.

That 2x4 mount looks a tad unstable on the lateral. Couple of bits of 3/4 triangles would stiffen it up considerably.

Thanks. I do need to add some wood between the strong-tie rafter plates to add an outsides light.
  • XRingerXRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I had some extra stuff and used it to convert the master bedroom reading
    lamp into a solar powered LED night light.

My wife uses it every night while doing crosswords or watching a little late nite TV.

I really like the idea of having that reading light, if there is a power failure during the night.
    I don't like getting dressed while trying to hold a flashlight.

z105.jpg

The old lamp used to get hot as heck. This is going be much cooler during the summer..

Cheers,
    Rich
  • Paul54Paul54 Registered Users Posts: 18

I re-work old halogen desk lamps and track light fixtures to use the MR-12 LED lamps. For small area task lighting they work great. I power them directly from a 12 volt battery bank. For some reason they seem to work best if you can angle them at 45 degrees to what you are trying to light?