trying to make the right choice

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
I purchased the xantrex powerhub 1800 along with a 30 amp mppt solar charge controler and 2 170 watt 24 volt solar panels. I have not yet purchase the 100ah batteries to put in the battery box. I am trying not to spend 200 dollars a battery if possible. I found this battery for 127 dollars as follows, AGM PowerStar Group 27, 12V, 100Ah Battery. Is this a fair choice? or does someone have a better idea? I also have bp 170 watt, 24 volt panels and i have no idea what type of extension cables to use being that there are different types. I am so tired of guessing what to get. Please help and thanks for your replies.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,591 admin
    Re: trying to make the right choice

Batteries have a nasty habit of--batteries that cost 2x more tend to last about 2x longer (in the same type of battery).

And people tend to kill their first battery bank through misuse.

So, getting an inexpensive first set of batteries to learn on/from may be the best deal for you.

AGM batteries are expensive, but they also work pretty well. Expensive flooded cell batteries usually have a longer life.

Regarding the BP panels, if these are used, I had a set of bp4175 panels that went bad (junction boxes appeared to overheat. I think the fixed units are the BP-4175B.

BP did honor the warranty for me... So I am reasonably happy.

Look on the glass over the junction box for light coffey colored staining and/or bubbles indicating delamination.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset