PV Panel Glass Replacement - Kyocera KC200GT

I have a Kyocera KC200GT panel with shattered glass. Electrically the panel seems to be OK since the entire system is still producing the same energy before the damage.

I am looking for options to replace the glass and salvage the panel. A quick Google search did not provide any help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am in the San Diego area.

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: PV Panel Glass Replacement - Kyocera KC200GT

Hi, bzublin - Too bad,

This has come up in the past, and there is probably no perfect solution, as high quality panels are really hermetically sealed (totally sealed against the external environment).

In time, humidity and atmospheric pollutants will probably cause some corrosion, and cause the panel's output to fade away, or fail.

Recall that some have tried spraying some clear Acrylic coating on such panels.

You might try warming the panel in the sun, and using Silicone caulk to glue down a correctly-sized sheet of Polycarbonate (a brand name is Lexan), with the UV resistant surface facing out, and see what happens. You would really want to pull a weak vacuum on the panel to try to remove as much of the air inside the panel, but this is difficult, and could actually cause more damage.

I have NO experience with this. It is a shame to just sit and watch a panel deteirorate. SD has good weather, so perhaps this panel will go along well for some time. Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

Try this site:

http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=2217ba36ada3e9efa590eb08bf4dac94&/topic,144982.0.html

I think it could be repaired, maybe with some of this between the glass. "EVA (ethylene vinyl actetate)" Be a interseting project.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I believe experience has shown, here and elsewhere that your chances of recovering the panel are between slim and non! I have never read where anyone has been able to replace the glass with good long term results.

Tony
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Kyocera KC200GT

Model: KC200GT
    Tolerance: +10% / -5%
    Maximum Power Voltage: 26.3 volts
    Maximum Power Current: 7.61 amps
    Open Circuit Voltage: 32.9 volts
    Short Circuit Current: 8.21 amps
    Length (LxWxH): 56.2" x 39.0" x 1.4" / 1425 x 990 x 36 mm
    Weight: 40.7 lbs. / 18.5 kg

1 year limited warranty on material and workmanship
    25 year limited warranty on power output
  • bluewickedburner
    bluewickedburner Solar Expert Posts: 78 ✭✭✭✭

Older topic but this might help someone. I had a smaller panel with shattered glass. I was able to remove the existing glass. The seal it I used a high temp ultra clear shrink wrap. This isn't perfect but it produced a water tight seal. You'll probably have to redo it once a year but it takes only a few minutes. I haven't tried this on a larger panel so test for any reduction in power from the panel.

If you do this, you must get the UV resistant film or it will yellow and deteriorate quite quickly.

When placing the wrap on, you have to work from the center of the panel outwards and make absolutely certain that you have enough material in a single piece to cover the entire panel. If you leave a seam or overlap you might as well start over.

One more thing, and experience is talking here, make sure that the panel is clean and nothing gets under the wrap before you shrink it.

Where to get it: Most Marine supply shops should have it. The 6 mil stuff, the 12 mil is too thick. You can use a common heat gun to apply it. Ah, not too hot though.