Ground Anchor

Anyone ever tried using a ground anchor or "Ground Screw" when installing a ground mount system. I'm getting ready to do a system a long ways from home and don't really want to deal with concrete.

Still trying to find specs on this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100592729&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100592729&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D25X-_-100592729&locStoreNum=477

as everything else I've found takes either machinery to install or is only available as part of a whole rack system.

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Ground Anchor
    solarix wrote: »
    Anyone ever tried using a ground anchor or "Ground Screw" when installing a ground mount system. I'm getting ready to do a system a long ways from home and don't really want to deal with concrete.

Still trying to find specs on this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100592729&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100592729&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D25X-_-100592729&locStoreNum=477

as everything else I've found takes either machinery to install or is only available as part of a whole rack system.

I would be afraid that the wind loading would pull it out eventually. It says it is for a mailbox, not much wind loading there.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Not never not no-how! Not even for a mailbox.

If you're not sure of the soil/rock conditions on site then best plan for the worst and hope for the best, not the other way around.

How about cement well tiles laid on a packed gravel base, then filled with concrete? If you know the wind loading (55lbs/sqft for 100mph...my project's loading) then you could adjust the size of tile and concrete ballast accordingly. Nothing would ruin your day faster than a customer calling about the panels tipped over pointing down into the lawn:grr.

Ralph
  • SolarLurker
    SolarLurker Solar Expert Posts: 122 ✭✭

They tried to use ground screw for my ground mount. My solar installer subcontracted a ground screw company to stall 16 screws. The idea of ground screw really seemed great as it save concrete, and would give us more latitude in moving the array down the road.

My land is all shale, it can be dug but it isn't easy. The ground screw people brought out a little hand held post hole digger to install the screws. It was not powerful enough to set the screws.

We eneded up needing to excavate the whole area, backfill with modified and concrete then drill the holes.

By the time it was done we would have been better of with concrete.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

although placing it into the ground with concrete is ideal, i see no reason why it could not have a wider concrete form above ground to act as a pedestal mount. this way will require more concrete over setting it in concrete in the ground as the ground is unavailable to stabilize and anchor it.
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

How long will it take to rust out??

I vote to do it with concrete with 1/4" steel post.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Technically nothing actually has to be anchored into the ground. It just has to have sufficient mass to off-set the "sail factor" of the panels. Not all building inspectors would understand or agree with that. Even though it is quite common to construct buildings which are not anchored. They'd probably make you get a P.E. to sign off on it.