Beginners training

DDuffeeInc
DDuffeeInc Registered Users Posts: 12
Can anyone recommend a beginners training course to take? I notice there is an online course that is 6 weeks. I may take a look at it, but I really enjoy the actual hands on training and feel of a classroom environment.

I am currently an electrician so I do have the knowledge of voltage drop and can do the electrical work and calculations. I will start with my own building as my first system. That way I can work out the bugs of it and learn at my expense.

Most likely the majority of our installs would be grid tied.

Where would a person such as myself begin to start?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Beginners training

Where are you out of? Carlsbad, NM?

There are a couple threads here that are chock full of discussions and pictures of doing a complete Grid Tied system... For example, here is a commercial install:

Illustration of 8 KW (DC) GT Solar PV System Install for Residence in Urban Area

And here is one of the DIY installs:

3.36kW Residential DIY GT system Install

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

By the way, do you have a friend who is a roofer? Turns out that one of the roofers here was doing so many roof repairs after solar arrays were installed--that he decided to get into the solar PV installation business too.ric

I would hazard to guess that, from your point of view, learning how to install rails/flashing/etc. on the various types of roofs would be a great help. The basic electrical stuff for Grid Tied is pretty much following code.

If you want to get into the hybrid/battery backed/generator backed systems--that is an adventure in itself... From what little I have read here, many electricians just totally ignore the DC side of the issues... For a 48 volt battery bank, a 6kW inverter running at full power would draw (NEC wise):
    • 6,000 watts * 1/42 volts batt cutoff * 1/0.85 * 1.25 NEC derating = 210 amp branch circuit minimum...
    Probably a lot more current than many residential/small business electricians are used to working with...

If you want to go with the hybrid / off grid systems--picking a manufacturer and checking out their installer training courses may be helpful.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • DDuffeeInc
    DDuffeeInc Registered Users Posts: 12

I actually have a couple of traing classes in line. We are near Lubbock, Texas which is not the best place for solar but combined with wind which 3Tier shows at 13.4 mph average solar would be great for those calm bright hot sunny days.

I probably will look at some off grid work. I do not intend to start out installing systems without full knowledge of the install.

One thing I do not care for is charging someone for something I know little about. This is why I want to study up, know what I am installing and what to expect from it.