solar panel applications / xantrex DR 2424

Options
big402red
big402red Registered Users Posts: 7
my plan is to do a no grid setup at a cabin I have a Xantrex DR2424 whats the differance betwen solar panels that are no grid and grid tie. and what would you recommend to build around my Xantrex.

Thanks Shaun

Comments

• Seven
    Seven Solar Expert Posts: 292 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: solar panel applications / xantrex DR 2424

Others will give more specific answers than I can, but the main difference I have seen is the voltage of the grid tie panels is usually higher than the off grid ones. Some charge controllers are not able to take a 26v panel and charge a 12v bank. Many of the MPPT ones can though. PMW, not so much.

The inverter you have needs a 24v bank to operate. So that means your system needs to be built around that.

The DR2424 was discontinued because it became obsolete with NEC-2008 UL 1741.

Keep in mind that it is a MSW(modified sine wave) inverter and you should not try to run high end electronics from it, like computers, or radios and such.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: solar panel applications / xantrex DR 2424

Leper; good answer! :D

Yes, off-grid systems center on their battery banks. The size of which is determined by the intended loads, as is the size of the inverter.

The battery bank capacity determines how much panel Wattage and what capacity charge controller is needed.

A sample set up using your 2424 inverter (not necessarily a recommendation) would look something like this:

Four 6V 225 Amp hour batteries wired in series for 24 Volt. Maximum capacity: about 2.4 kW hours.
    800 Watt array w/ 30 Amp charge controller. Would harvest about 2.4 kW hours per day.
    (Rough estimates; not exact calculations; no efficiency loss allowance.)