Sailboat system - wiring details

Options
System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
I'm installing my first solar system on my sailboat. Two Kyocera 135 panels, with MC4 connectors and a Blue Sky 2512i controller. The panels will be connected in parallel, feed through the controller to an AGM battery bank approx 400 aH (two 4Ds in parallel). A few questions.

I have an available battery switch. Is it necessary, or a good idea, or is it unwise, to put the switch in the circuit so I can cut the output from the panels when desired? Part of this is my wondering what happens when the batteries are fully charged, the controller goes to float charge, but the panels are in full sun and wanting to pour out full output - where do those electrons go ;-)

Second, I have several charge sources. At the dock, an inverter/charger from the AC dock power. When underway and the engine running, a high output alternator. Are the any issues when either of these is charging the battery bank and simultaneously the solar system is also doing the same? Related question, any specifics on where the solar output should connect to the battery bank relative to where the other charge sources connect?

Thanks.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Sailboat system - wiring details

No problems. :D

Once the batteries are full, the panels can just sit there in the sun. Without a circuit between their (+) and (-) they produce nothing. There's no free electrons floating around to worry about. If there were no charge controller they'd continue pumping current into the batteries until the batteries boiled. That would be a problem.

Having multiple charge sources for batteries isn't a problem either. They don't so much "compete" as they do "share" - as in share the load. The only guideline for where you hook up the solar charge input is to keep the wires as short as practical and as even between batteries as possible. In other word you don't want six feet of wire to one battery and then two more feet to the next. This helps balance the current between batteries and keep them evenly charged.

Smartgauge battery wiring guide: http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options
    Re: Sailboat system - wiring details

Thanks very much. Off to the boat tonight to start wiring