inverter output problem

Options
I have a xantrex XPOWER 1500 watt inverter installed in my RV.

When I check the output of the inverter with a household circuit tester all three lights come on indicating either; 1. rev polarity, 2. hot & grnd reversed, or 3. hot on neutral with hot open.

It seems this circuit checker is appropriate for this test but i'm not sure.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: inverter output problem

The Xpower series is MSW - "Modified Sine Wave" (correctly modified square wave or multiple step/square wave). It will not give correct readings on one of those plug-in LED outlet checkers. There is no ground-neutral bond, nor should there be. So it will read as being wired wrong even though it works. You won't get a correct Voltage reading on certain meters for the same reason.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

I appreciate your quick reply. I have used the output with a variety of appliances without a problem. Then I tried this tester and wound up with the described problem. Thanks for the education.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Motor loads are not big fans of MSW inverters.

T
  • vcallaway
    vcallaway Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If it is like most MSW inverters it has a floating neutral. The normal check light plugs will fail. Someone else here can give a technical answer, but the bottom line is that it does not matter.

And like was stated earlier motors don't like these inverters. They tend to run slower and hotter.