Chevy Volt nationwide rollout

techntrek
techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
In case you haven't heard yet, the Volt will be rolled out nationwide ahead of schedule. Now they just need to drop the price and I'm in...

http://gm-volt.com/2011/01/27/gm-announces-nationwide-chevy-volt-rollout-plan/
4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is

Comments

• PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Re: Chevy Volt nationwide rollout

Yeah, it was on the local news that a dealer less than two hours away actually has one in stock that people can test drive. They won't have any to sell until later this year.

It'd be perfect for me if I worked a night shift and could let the car recharge all day from my solar (tho I'd undoubtedly have to buy more panels).

Phil
  • AntronX
    AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭

I may go drive one today. And this Sunday I got Nissan Leaft test drive scheduled. An EV weekend.
  • techntrek

I'm jealous! :D

I'm interested in the Leaf, too, but I have a 66 mile round-trip to work and from what I've read online the Leaf can come close to that as its max when it is cold. That gives me a definite case of range anxiety.
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

We don't have them here anyway but I have zero interest in a car like the Volt at that price!
  • AntronX
    techntrek wrote: »
    I'm jealous! :D

I drove the Volt today. Before driving it, everyone was required to test drive Chevy Cruze first. Kinda silly, but I guess that was to highlight the difference between car's technologies. The car feels luxurious to me, or maybe that was the finest trim option they had out there. Acceleration was amazing, smooth and instant. I kind of expected more torque, but it's not bad for this kind of car. I wish I could think of more right now, but I will report back once I go drive the Leaf.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

they may have toned down the torque some as drivers are used to the slower reaction times of combustion engines.
  • AntronX

Drove Leaf today. Pictures are here.

Neat little car. Very quiet. Acceleration is quick enough for even aggressive driving and as typical of electric cars, is very smooth. One nice thing is that driving it feels just like gasoline automatic, except quieter and without gear shifts. Putting it in drive makes it roll slowly. They have them dialed up to coast just like gasoline car, and regen is applied full force when pressing brake pedal. Eco mode increases regen when coasting. Steering is light and feels nice. Not loose like on some big cars.

I've been told by Nissan staff that battery capacity starts getting affected at -20 F, by few miles and not much they said. They do plan to release cold weather version of the car with electric thermal blanket for battery for very cold climates.

I think both Leaf and Volt are fine cars, based on my limited experience. Nissan had better presentation than GM. Leaf test drive ran first through the closed course, then onto public 45mph limit street with few stop lights. We even got to race another Leaf that drove in front of us. We won. That time I was a passenger and my friend drove.

For those thinking these cars are too expensive, go out and test drive them. Even if you don't want buy one. At least you will know how electric technology feels like to drive. In few years you should be able to buy them used for less money. That's what I may try.

As for Volt vs. Leaf, I take the Leaf. Few reasons why. First, I like a car completely free of gasoline and free of gasoline component maintenance, smell and grease. Second, soon enough there should be aftermarket tow trailers available housing small engine and generator to extend range for long distance trips. I am not talking about generic 240V AC generator here, but specifically designed one with correct voltage output to tie directly to Leaf's battery and with all necessary data connections to the car. Third, Leaf has high power 30 minute charge plug tied directly to battery. This allows stranded Leaf to be quickly charged from dispatched generator truck, and may allow for easy connection of home brewed DC-DC chargers for charging from battery based solar system.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Here is an example of a "Long Ranger" trailer commissioned by Toyota for their Electric Rav4 vehicle.

Interesting--but I wonder if it would gain wide acceptance.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • AntronX

I've seen that page before. I would want larger wheels on that trailer. But yes, that's the idea. I doubt wide acceptance though. I would use it for occasional long trips. Imagine if you could rent it on the go from certain charging stations.
  • techntrek

Something doesn't add up, 500cc with a 20kw output? Or am I reading that wrong?
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

I have a question, something I've been thinking about for some time, but few if any seem to be mentioning. The cost of the electricity from grid, to recharge and thus run electric cars is far cheaper than that of liquid fuels to take us the same distance. BUT, at least here in Canada, a substantial percentage of the cost of vehicle fuel is tax, supposedly to pay, or help pay for our roads and their upkeep. So, if a good percentage of folk start driving grid powered electric vehicles, how will the government manage to add the cost of roads to the use of those vehicles?
    Is that where the use of GPS, to tax miles driven comes in? What think you?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Yep... Any other fuel (home made biodiesel, pouring corn oil in your tank, fermenting alcohol for a gasoline engine, etc.) would all end up with heavy fines and possible jail terms for the DIY fueler.

Electricity--plug it in, put up solar panels, etc... And you are hailed as a hero.

Go figure.

In Oregon and (with California kicking in some funding)--They are/were exploring GPS taxes to equalize the road taxes between a hybrid and a Hummer (yes--it was said that hybrid owners where scamming the system). The GPS taxes were setup to be equal between the vehicles (miles driven with possible time/where use charges for higher rates in cities during commute hours).

Of course, they promised that they would reduce the fuel taxes to net out to zero between between new GPS and old fuel taxes (believe that?).

Also, the system was setup to read the GPS data every time the car fueled up (electric? Not so much).

The was the better part of 5-10 years ago I last read about it--So I am sure it has been "improved" since then.

In Europe and other tax heavy locations--The cost of fuel is only a fraction of the pump price--So electric cars would have to be heavily taxed to make up for the dramatic revenue losses.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

No problem - they will never go with the complicated GPS concept.

To easy just to slap an average electricity fuel tax for each type of car into an annual car tax.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Well my Volt is in the queue in Michigan, my home state. Deposit in, cash in hand. Now just waiting for delivery, scheduled for around May 1. Been assessing if additional solar will be required to charge it, interestingly I got a quote for Enphase system installed in PHX area for under $5 a watt cash price installed. Now take the $1.60 a watt Utility rebates and a 30% tax credit, it is sounding tempting to add a 2Kw.

Taxes in AZ are pretty high on vehicles already. Personal Property tax they call it.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Yes, without any gasoline tax revenues what will they do? Pay-as-you-go taxation is one thing; the more you use the vehicle the more you use the road and the more you pollute, so you should pay more. But if you don't use any fuel to use the road ...

I have no doubt that the Government of Canada will prove itself a world leader in this field and be the first country to introduce an Electric Vehicle Surcharge, payable annually. Imagine the warm, fuzzy feeling you'll get from paying a whopping purchase price (with tax on it) for the vehicle in the first place, and then getting to pay for a road you're not necessarily using and pollution you're not producing.

Just their way of saying "Thank you for being environmentally friendly." :roll:
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

the simplest way is to charge heavy taxes for high electrical usage. it may even be tiered. they will get it one way or another.
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    In Oregon and (with California kicking in some funding)--They are/were exploring GPS taxes to equalize the road taxes between a hybrid and a Hummer (yes--it was said that hybrid owners where scamming the system). The GPS taxes were setup to be equal between the vehicles (miles driven with possible time/where use charges for higher rates in cities during commute hours).
    Funny - because road damage caused by a vehicle goes up exponentially with weight while fuel economy does not. If they really wanted to tax gas fairly based on road wear, they'd do it by weight and distance traveled.

Instead of GPS (which brings up privacy concerns should the data get into the wrong hands) - annual odometer readings should be the way to go.

Of course - out-of-state travel stills brings up a problem...

IMO, it'd be better to simply raise the gas tax more to compensate for the loss in revenue at least the short/medium term as there are other benefits of electric vehicles worth paying for.