48v Battery Wiring 10 Batteries ?

Options
tr0y
tr0y Solar Expert Posts: 99 ✭✭✭
Hi -

I currently have 8 6v 405 AH SunXtender AGMs in series as my bank and I was doing a clean out of some left over building supplies and found 2 more of the exact battery that I was unaware I had.

So I was wondering what would be the correct way to add these two batteries into the bank ?

So that I would have 10 batteries at 48v ? I think it is a series parallel kinda deal but I am reasonably new to this and just don't want to screw up to bad.

Thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options
    Re: 48v Battery Wiring 10 Batteries ?

Cannot do it... Set them up as a 12 volt bank and keep them charged (manually once every month or so, or on a float charger).

If any of your other batteries fails, swap out with one of these...

Or set up a separate 12 volt battery bank (for powering 12 volt DC accessories).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • tr0y
    tr0y Solar Expert Posts: 99 ✭✭✭
    Options

Ok Thanks Bill,

Then my next question is could I add them to my 12V RV bank that I have built from the same batteries ?

I have the room for them in the RV battery space due to the fact I can lay them on their side.

Thanks
  • BB.
    Options

Assuming all are the same battery (AGM, roughly same AH rating), why not (assuming the batteries are holding a charge and capacity testing shows them OK).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options

It's generally not a great idea to mix new and old batteries on the same charging system. They discharge at different rates and their response to charging cycles is different.
  • BB.
    Options

GGUN is correct in that you should not plan a new system with mixed battery types/ages... But if you already have the batteries--why not give it a shot.

Mixing flooded cell and AGM batteries is not the optimal use of money--And one or the other may die quicker for various reason (unequal sharing of load/charging current, no optimum common charging algorithm, etc.).

Otherwise, the unused battery is going to age to death in a handful of years anyway.

If it does not add to your RV's useful power storage/capacity--You can always take it out and save the weight/use the space for additional storage.

And, if you monitor your use of the bank (Battery Monitor, DC current clamp meter to measure current sharing, or equivalent)--You can let us know how it all works out for you.

-Bill
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options

What is the current no load voltage ??? AGM's have some good shelf life, but if these sat too long they maybe scrap.