is one larger panel better than two?

Options
davecla
davecla Registered Users Posts: 8
I'm after a small panel for a rural shed.

I think I need about a 20Watt panel, I can get a 20Watt panel for $140 or a 10W for $70. (NZ$)

I'm thinking 2 x 10W would give better flexibility etc. Is there any down side to this approach?

Thanks

dave

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: is one larger panel better than two?

No big reason to choose one or the other... Little bit more wiring / mounting hardware for two panels vs one.

If you need the flexibility between 12 volt (two in parallel) vs 24 volt (two in series)--Or being able to split the two panels to two different locations later, then two panels may be better for you.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Options

The only concern I might have with your specific situation is that it seems the really small panels can be cheaper quality and construction-wise. Slightly larger panels start getting better construction methods, comparable to "big" panels. Long as the 10W and 20W are comparably constructed I don't see an issue either way.

I went with "more smaller panels" when I installed my system. It had some benefits in my particular case:
    • Able to ship the panels UPS rather than freight, as I was only buying 2-3 at a time.
    • Subsequently let me "grow" the system over time - although it was planned in advance, not just randomly added on to.
    • I could work with them by myself if needed, any larger and I'd have to have help.
    • If one gets smashed, I lose a smaller percentage of total capacity. (And MPPT means I can just remove the bad one from the string and keep things running - to a point!)
  • zeuspaul
    zeuspaul Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Able to ship the panels UPS rather than freight, as I was only buying 2-3 at a time.

UPS shipping was the determining factor in my panel size selection. The Kyocera 135 was the largest one I could find that ships UPS and that was from our host. Other vendors ship the same panel freight which makes the cost prohibitive for small orders.

Zeuspaul
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i don't think they will require freight for 10-20w pvs.