Initial Battery Conditioning

Options
I have a back-up energy system that I designed and built 10 years ago. Just about everything came from Arizona Wind and Sun. Today I replaced the battery bank for the third time. I'm getting 5 years of life on a bank. I have 8 Trojan T-105 batteries in a series-parallel arrangement for 12 volts.

Here's my question....what is the best way to break-in or initially condition the batteries? I've done lots of Googling but I can't find any information online about the best way to initially condition the batteries so that I can get maximum life. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Ken

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Initial Battery Conditioning

Batteries don't really need any "break-in" conditioning, although they will increase in capacity with he first 'X' cycles. Basically, charge them fully; check the Specific Gravity of each cell and write it down so you have something to compare to in future. If you find a discrepancy of more than 0.010 SG then equalize them (this is usually not necessary). Otherwise, they're good to go once charged.

I'd be a bit concerned about a 12 Volt system with four parallel banks at a total of 900 Amp hours. Do you have at least 45 Amps of peak charge current? That would require 800+ Watts of panel. More would be better, as that bank would be looking for up to 90 Amps of current (not practical on a 12 Volt system).

The other question is; how "even" is the wiring between banks? With four in parallel it is best to have each bank terminate at common (+) and (-) bus bars via equal length (and gauge of course) wires, and at that point attach the charge controller and inverter. Getting even current flow through four banks is tricky, and this may be reducing your battery life.

Then there's the issue of how deeply your discharging them. 50% will shorten the life considerably over 25%. Frankly, 5 years battery life is rather unimpressive (depending on what you consider to be "end of life").

Hope this helps. :D
  • blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Initial Battery Conditioning

I charge till full (sg`s stop rising) then EQ (Again until SG`s stop rising, not by time) top up water about an hour before end of EQ, Top up all cells to as equal level as possible at this time, when SG`s are all stable again, Record them, bat temp and measure level,
    This will be your reference point for the rest of your bats life and the most important charge the will probably ever get in my opinion,

Have a good one
    Tim

ps as mentioned, Your bat`s will take around 70 ish cycles to "run in" and reach their full capacity, do your next EQ @ around 100 ish cycles, You will notice a difference:D