quality of copper wiring from China?

Options
bmet
bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
Copper wiring is expensive, and I am a firm believer in the saying, "You get what you pay for"

For small systems like my power pack, how bad would the copper wiring be, in a set of jumper cables from China? $6 for a 10 foot pair of 10 gauge multi-stranded, insulated copper wire.

Cut off the handles and one is left with what appears to be several thick strands of copper wire suitable for short PV -> controller, or controller -> battery distance.

I know this isn't OFC from Beldon, but if it's sold for jumper cable, would there be any reason not to use it in small PV system?

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: quality of copper wiring from China?

I've seen folks do this, and it has seemed to work OK.

But, seems that jumper cables, and some auto wiring is not Guaged to AWG, but perhaps some SAE. Have heard that those who try to use jumper cable wire with AWG crimp terminals are disappointed that the auto cables a a bit too small for a good crimp. I've not done this, but have heard several reports of this issue.

YMMV and so on, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Agree with Vic, biggest problem is likely to be connecting the ends. Personally I prefer to both crimp AND solder, then I know I have a good connection.:cool:
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options

The bigst problem is the very poor lug crimps on the cheap jumper cables sometimes the cables dont even work or if they do the ends get very hot used as jumper cables,,

I am a great believer of first doing a good crimp with a good quality lug.. then try hard to pull apart if no movement then apply heat to wthe lug with small gas heater.. (portasol) or something like that holding the wire so lug facen down then feed solder into back of lug until lug is full of solder.. that will give long time protection against air corrosion or the ends of the wires
  • MisterB
    MisterB Solar Expert Posts: 156 ✭✭
    Options

Electrically, jumper cables should work fine as a short term solution. If you're doing a permanent installation, I would spend a few dollars more for something better.

And I do use and like the crimp/solder method for connecting lugs. The crimp makes the mechanical and electrical connection and the solder seals and reinforces it. Make sure you have a good tight crimp connection before you solder it.

then apply heat to wthe lug with small gas heater.. (portasol) or something like that holding the wire so lug facen down then feed solder into back of lug until lug is full of solder.

I use a soldering iron for smaller wires but for anything 6 awg or bigger, I gently heat the bottom of the lug with a plumbers torch and when solder starts to melt at the top, I take the flame away, and I usually have 20-30 seconds to melt solder into the lug and this doesn't melt the insulation.