Looking for Solar Products retail in San Francisco Bay Area

Options
Hi there.

I'm looking for a wholesale or retail outlet anywhere in the SF bay area ( SF, San Jose or south as far as Monterey ) that sells solar products. At this time, I specifically need combiner boxes and mc3 wire, but more generally I just want to find a go-to place when I need something and don't feel like waiting days for it to arrive in the mail. Also, I would really like to be able to touch and feel before purchasing.

I've googled all around, checked the yellow pages, etc, but no luck. Most local solar advertisers are installers, not distributors. The closest I found is civicsolar, with headquarters in SF, but I just called them and it turns out they don't stock those items, would have to order from warehouse Santa Rosa or Sacramento anyway, and generally seem to be about online sales only.

So, does anyone know of such a place? Or even a general electric shop that sells some solar stuff on the side? What do local installers do when a customer is screaming because their charge controller or inverter is busted and want it replaced YESTERDAY?!!!

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Looking for Solar Products retail in San Francisco Bay Area

"So, does anyone know of such a place? Or even a general electric shop that sells some solar stuff on the side? What do local installers do when a customer is screaming because their charge controller or inverter is busted and want it replaced YESTERDAY?!!!"

gee, maybe you should call one of those installers and ask them where they get there stuff from. you should be aware this forum is sponsored by a retailer and it is a bit of a slap in their face to come here to find out where else you can buy the stuff.:cry: i will say that if anybody wants to answer your query to do it in a pm not because it's not allowed, but out of respect for our host who paid for this forum, its operations and equipment.
  • notsobright
    notsobright Solar Expert Posts: 247 ✭✭
    Options

welcome to NAWS

cant help you with your question as Im on the other coast but it shouldnt be an issue. it might even be an emergency right.

but for non emergencies, from my experience its hard to beat NAWS deals and customer service.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Well, if our host has a local store, affiliate, traveling bus, second cousin twice removed or indeed any type of dealer with a physical presence in the san francisco bay area then I will be delighted to repeatedly frequent their establishment and give them DOLLARS, SILVER COIN, my first-born child, or whatever payment of their preference in exchange for solar products. That is exactly what I am asking for.

<snip>edited to remove rude remarks<snip>

good night.
    niel wrote: »
    gee, maybe you should call one of those installers and ask them where they get there stuff from. you should be aware this forum is sponsored by a retailer and it is a bit of a slap in their face to come here to find out where else you can buy the stuff.:cry: i will say that if anybody wants to answer your query to do it in a pm not because it's not allowed, but out of respect for our host who paid for this forum, its operations and equipment.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

We are one of the few solar retailers - espeically online ones - that actually stocks items. In a few cases, those local retailers where you are might actually be buying from us :-)

Besides, in most cases if you order from us, you avoid the SF/CA sales taxes, which can be over 11% total. ;)
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

danda,
    i sent you a yellow pages query for your area via pm. do not take what i said in a bad way as businesses are businesses and i'd like to give the respect to our host that is deserved. do know that physical stores are rare and most solar businesses are not derived via a store front. they exist, but are few and far between because they aren't a needed expense in many cases. there may or may not be one in your area as i don't know. that does not mean that you can't buy from local installers, but they probably do not have a store front and as windsun stated it could very well be originally from our host anyway, but there are a few other possible major sources as well. i was very serious when i told you to ask the installers as they do know where they got their pvs from and if one knows of a store in your area they could tell you of it. some may not tell you if they want you to buy the pvs through them for a profit markup.
    as such no rude remarks were necessary or warranted on your part to be deleted just because it is not an answer you want to hear.