Fixed ground mount output

Options
new2solar
new2solar Registered Users Posts: 14
Hello everyone. I'm in sw Ontario and am about to install a 10kw fixed ground mount solar system. I'm looking for similar systems to compare my output to, but I can only find tracker output, or rooftop output. Has anyone installed a fixed ground mount with either a fixed panel angle, or a seasonal adjustable tilt? Has it performed up to the estimated output? Any helpful tips you could add to the install would help. Luckily I was grandfathered at the .802$ kw rate, or I'd have to go to a tracker to make the project feasible.

Comments

• Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Fixed ground mount output

Hi New
    You can look at the links in my signature for project build and Enphase public access page to my system production information. Glad you could get in under the wire...will you get done by May?

Ralph
  • new2solar
    Options

Hi Ralph.
    I took a look at your system. It is producing very impressive numbers, they are comparable to a tracker system that has been installed near our house.
    It looks like you've got a seasonally adjustable tilt, which my system won't have. Your system is a perfect example of the returns you can get by oversizing the glass instead of going the tracker route. I'm going to install 10.8kw fixed instead of a 9.6kw tracker. If I can get a 7 to 8 year payback, I'll be happy.
    I'm hoping the concrete pillars and the wiring will be installed before the freeze up this fall, but it all depends on my installers, I know they're swamped. I waited 5 months for my conditional offer from the OPA to come through, so a few more for the install I can live with.
    Thanks for the info.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi New

I used one of the on-line solar calculator programs to check how much my seasonal adjustment helps...4%. I thought it would be much more, but that's all the extra benefit over one fixed angle.

But 4% on $10Kper year x 20 years = $8000. With the adjustment taking 5 minutes x 10 per year = 16.6 hours for a return of $8000? It's definitely worth my time ($482 per hour!). I don't think racking that didn't adjust would be $8k cheaper either.

Ralph
  • new2solar
    Options

Hi Ralph
    I was again comparing your output to a tracker in my area which uses 45 210w sanyo panels. There is a couple of interesting things I noticed. The tracker comes up to its full output quicker and maintains it for a longer period of time during the day. Because of the fewer panels, its output generally is between 8 and 9 kw at max. Your output comes up to max and holds it for a shorter period of time. However, your max hits 10kw on a regular basis resulting in the same or higher daily kw production. Another thing I noticed, as the tracker also uses enphase microinverters, is the variation in output of the sanyo panels. There is commonly a 10 to 12w difference between various panels, while yours looks to be closer to 3w. What kind did you use? I thought the sanyo's output would be much tighter as they are marketed as a premium panel.
    I'm having 48 225w panels installed, but after seeing your system's output, I'm thinking of adding 4 more. I'm using two 5kw string inverters, and will look in to the affect of the extra glass on the inverter lifespan first.