cells in parallel along with some in series?

Options
a1bigtuna
a1bigtuna Registered Users Posts: 21
Can someone out there inform me on this question? If I have 36 .5V 1.8 amp cells in series and 4 in parallel with 4 of the cells in the series connection, will that add current to the overall system load capacity? It is hard for me to think that it would add 1.8A x 4 current to the overall current capacity. Would it cause problems, any caveats? Thanks

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: cells in parallel along with some in series?

it won't do anything for it as the bulk of the current will be limited from the other cells that have nothing paralleled to them. shouldn't hurt anything, but really won't contribute either.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

So if I understand your post properly, you have 36 cells in series, and of those 36 cells, you've chosen 4, to which you've parallel connected additional cells, in hopes of increasing the amperage of the string. If this is correct, then Niel is right on the money, you'll see no difference whatever, with, or without the 4 extra cells you've added in this way. Now if you had another 32 cells to go with that extra 4, and so wired them, one each to all the existing cells, THEN you'd see your available current double.
  • a1bigtuna
    a1bigtuna Registered Users Posts: 21
    Options

Thanks, it did not make sense to me that it would work, but just had to check. Will just leave those cells out, they are actually 6x6 inch and are .6 volts, so don't need all the voltage as I am just charging a boat battery. Thanks again.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options

If you had a MPPT type charge controller (vs PWM)--You could add the extra 4 cells in series to increase Vmp by ~2 volts... A MPPT would take that extra voltage and down convert it to extra amperage into your battery bank.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset