Browning, cracked, and burnt traces on Photowatt panels

Brlux
Brlux Solar Expert Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
So it seems I am having poor luck with what should be the most reliable and longest lasting part of my system.

I have 8 Photowatt PW750-80 panels which are about 6 years old, they are in a 4 series 2 parallel configuration for a 48V system. Within the last year or so I noticed the cells seem to be browning similar to what I have seen on really old panels that were used with a concentrators.

I also think I am seeing cracks in some of the cells. The thin metal traces over the cracks have turned black and the panel strangely has not turned brown over the cracks. I don't think I am seeing any significant decrease in output from the panels, though I should probably look into it further.

I should also add that I initially purchased 6 panels and had to have them all replaced within the first year under warranty by Matrix Photowatt due to very low output. One was putting out less than a 10w panel. These panels also exhibited the burnt trace symptom. They were very good to work with and made the exchange for new panels very easy, They claimed that my panels were likely part of a bad batch they had go out. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems that Photowatt has pulled out of the US market and it makes me nervous that they cutting and running.

Has anyone else seen similar problems with panels and specifically had any problems with Photowatt panels? I thought I was purchasing a quality product but am now feeling a bit concerned.

Comments

• stevend
    stevend Solar Expert Posts: 34
    Re: Browning, cracked, and burnt traces on Photowatt panels

I hope Photowatt won't start having quality problems. They manufacture in Ontario, Canada, where we need them to meet the domestic content requirements starting in 2011 for our provincial microFIT incentive program.
    -Steve
  • lemketron
    lemketron Registered Users Posts: 1
    Re: Browning, cracked, and burnt traces on Photowatt panels

Does anyone have warranty contact information for Matrix Photowatt panels? I have an array installed back in the fall of 2003, and I believe my panels are showing signs of browning that are affecting the total power produced by the array. I'd like to find out how to submit a warranty claim but I don't know who to contact.