Magnum equipment question

Options
dogman
dogman Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭
I am doing off grid and moving to 48 volts.

I am looking at the Magnum MS4448PAE inverter, Does anyone have anything
to say about this equipment or Magnum products in general. I would like to hear both good and bad. I was looking at using there enclosure box, battery montior kit and breakers as well.

This is way over kill for my needs but will support any future needs.
The only thing that it dosn't seem to have is eithernet monitoring that I
would like to have.

Any better ideas would also help !

Thank you.

Off grid with 6 Simpliphi 3.4KWH 48 volt batteries, 2 Morningstar TriStar MPPT controllers with TS-RM-2  monitor, 1 with 9 Silfab 310 watt panels and 1 with 18 Grape solar 220 watt panels, Magnum MS4448PAE inverter with BMK battery monitor, Tri-Metric battery monitor and Utility company style KWH used meter.

Comments

• halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Magnum equipment question

The Magnum inverters are good they are a real decent bang for the buck and have a great battery charger that will charge with a 120 volt genset or a 120/240 genset.

Do your self a favor and use a MidNite Epanel for it it will take up a lot less space and is much more user friendly. My house has been running of this combination since they released the 48 volt version some time ago
  • tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Options

APRS World recently announced a product called the "MagTap". Their website is http://www.aprsworld.com/

It does require an "always on" Internet connection.

We're still months away from Magnum inverter support, but should be able to provide a locally accessible monitoring product in 1H11.
  • KeithWHare
    KeithWHare Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    Options

I helped install a Magnum MS4024 in a clinic in Haiti last spring. The decision to use the MS4024 was primarily made on the basis that it was available in Port au Prince, but I was pleased with how it worked out and how it is working.

I echo Halfcrazy's recommendation of the Midnite Solar e-panel. Not only does it fit in a checked suitcase, the e-panel made it look like I knew what I was doing. Midnite Solar also provided decent e-mail support for the couple of questions I had.

The Magnum remote and battery monitor kit are separate pieces, but highly recommended.

Now if I just had a way to monitor the system over the internet...

Keith Hare
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Options

I'll give you a link to two threads that I've discussed my Magnum inverters:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=8904

and in post #5 of the following thread, I link to a thread I started a few years ago after I bought my first Magnum (I now have two).

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=3326

I'm very happy with the inverters. I'm also more-than-satisfied with the initial situation after buying the first inverter (Magnum really stepped up to the plate for support then).

If I needed another inverter to replace my old Xantrex I'd have no hesitation on buying another Magnum.

Phil
  • tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Options
    KeithWHare wrote: »
    Now if I just had a way to monitor the system over the internet...

Keith Hare

The "MagTap" allows you to upload the data to APRS World. If someone can point me to a Magnum owner near Austin, TX I'd be able to have Magnum support possibly sooner than 1H11, for small values of sooner since it's now 4Q10 ...