Solar space heating question

Options
Hi there,

I am a newbie to this group and have a lot to learn. I've recently installed solar panels on the roof top for water heating. The panels are very efficient. In the past Summer We barely used any gas for water heating. The system is expensive but we believe in green energy. Here are my two questions:

1) We are thinking to extend the hot water pipes to go into the air duct for space heating. I wonder if there's any existing radiator that I can connect to the pipes within the air duct to achieve this purpose. Something that I can "clip" on?

2) In the summer the water is so over-heated that it needs to be pumped out or overheating the tank or the console. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions on how to utilize the excessive heat in the middle of summer.

Thanks very much!!!!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Solar space heating question

Other than the normal various hot water type heaters (plastic tube, radiators, etc.)... I cannot think of anything off hand.

For using excess heat during the summer--drying vegetables and meats are about the only thing I can think of at the moment where you can use the summer heat beyond hot water and pool heating.

Build It Solar has a lot of do-it-yourself solar projects and links.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe run a solar still to make some water?

Keep a compost heap hot?

Dry clothes?
  • mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe run a solar still to make some water
    Or some moonshine.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

I thought there were better uses for a solar still. :p;)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • LucMan
    LucMan Solar Expert Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Options
    make1 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am a newbie to this group and have a lot to learn. I've recently installed solar panels on the roof top for water heating. The panels are very efficient. In the past Summer We barely used any gas for water heating. The system is expensive but we believe in green energy. Here are my two questions:

1) We are thinking to extend the hot water pipes to go into the air duct for space heating. I wonder if there's any existing radiator that I can connect to the pipes within the air duct to achieve this purpose. Something that I can "clip" on?

2) In the summer the water is so over-heated that it needs to be pumped out or overheating the tank or the console. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions on how to utilize the excessive heat in the middle of summer.

Thanks very much!!!!

You can purchase HW coils that will mount within you ductwork, it will require cutting the duct open, and installing to the existing duct. Be care full when selecting as they have a significant pressure drop across the coil which may affect your existing heating or cooling system air flow. Best to get a pro to size the coil for you.

http://www.coilcompany.com/pdf/Coilnews7.pdf

If you have a pool you can connect a heat exchanger to your solar thermal system and dump the excess BTU's in the pool.