Installing Solar array on carport ! ! !

Options
2»

Comments

• mr.radon
    mr.radon Solar Expert Posts: 158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Installing Solar array on carport ! ! !

PV Watts can tell you how much power you will make at different angles.
    Download Google SketchUp. It has a shade module. You can tilt your panels and see what spacing gives you the best results.

Or pull out a calculator and start figuring out the best spacing. Sun charts are all on line.

It would help to post a picture of the car port or the plans for the car port. I'm assuming the roof is flat?
  • Batikikik
    Batikikik Solar Expert Posts: 141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes roof is flat is 464 by 224 ...
    I used Pv watts to see what is the production in different angles
    I have two choices 1.install one all panels with one array with 10 degree angle (I dont want go more than 10angles, because array is big and 2 3 more degrees more makes a big sence in hight of the array)
    2.Install panels with several rows with 34 degree angle .
    So which is the best way ???

I am using 280watt panels 77inhces by 39 , and I want make rows installing panels in horizontal ...If I do calculation it says 6 panels in one row . 464 / 77 = 6
    And when pnaels are installing horizontal with 34 degree angle they need x=39inches*cos34= 32 inchesdegree space on roof
    So 224/32 = 7 ROWS. Result is 7ROWS * 6panels = Total 42 panels south facing with 34 degree . BUT I WILL HAVE SHADING PROBLEM
    AND I want to know if I am installing 39inch panel with 34 degree , how much space do I need betwwen rows for reducing shade ?????Thank you for good
    answers!!!!

I want to play with angles , I think maybe I can reduce 34 to 22 degree in this case production will decrease but I think shading will be much less , so I want to fing golden midle :)
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options

did you ever get this project completed any photos?
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Batikikik wrote: »
    Yes roof is flat is 464 by 224 ...
    I used Pv watts to see what is the production in different angles
    I have two choices 1.install one all panels with one array with 10 degree angle (I dont want go more than 10angles, because array is big and 2 3 more degrees more makes a big sence in hight of the array)
    2.Install panels with several rows with 34 degree angle .
    So which is the best way ???

I am using 280watt panels 77inhces by 39 , and I want make rows installing panels in horizontal ...If I do calculation it says 6 panels in one row . 464 / 77 = 6
    And when pnaels are installing horizontal with 34 degree angle they need x=39inches*cos34= 32 inchesdegree space on roof
    So 224/32 = 7 ROWS. Result is 7ROWS * 6panels = Total 42 panels south facing with 34 degree . BUT I WILL HAVE SHADING PROBLEM
    AND I want to know if I am installing 39inch panel with 34 degree , how much space do I need betwwen rows for reducing shade ?????Thank you for good
    answers!!!!

I want to play with angles , I think maybe I can reduce 34 to 22 degree in this case production will decrease but I think shading will be much less , so I want to fing golden midle :)

Here's the way we figure row spacing for single modules in landscape:
    Subtract your latitude from 55 degrees to get clearance angle (A).
    Multiply your module width times the sine of the tilt angle to get the height of the module edge (H).
    Tan(A) = H/X, where X is the row spacing. Solve for X.
    X = H/tan(A)