Outback MPPT clarification

azrc
azrc Solar Expert Posts: 43
I'm reading the manual for the FX charge controller and it states
Each Charge Controller requires its own PV array. DO NOT PARALLEL Charge Controller PV+ and PVTERMINALS
ON THE SAME ARRAY!

What exactly does this mean? Is this purely a mechanical wiring constraint and I can have multiple parallel input strings (with matched PV characteristics) coming in through a combiner box? Or does it mean all each array string must be on its own controller?

Thanks

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Outback MPPT clarification
    azrc wrote: »
    I'm reading the manual for the FX charge controller and it states

What exactly does this mean? Is this purely a mechanical wiring constraint and I can have multiple parallel input strings (with matched PV characteristics) coming in through a combiner box? Or does it mean all each array string must be on its own controller?

Thanks

It means you must not connect two controllers to one array, regardless of the size or configuration of that array.

You can connect as many strings to one controller as you like. The limitations there being the Voc not exceeding the FM's maximum input Voltage and understanding that it will put out a maximum of 60 or 80 Amps (depending on the model) at system charging Voltage regardless of how many Amps the array is capable of.

Important to keep the nomenclature straight: Outback charge controllers are MX and FM. Inverters are FX. :D
  • azrc
    azrc Solar Expert Posts: 43
    Re: Outback MPPT clarification

Thanks. That makes sense.