Switching to Solar

Hey everyone,

I am a business owner who recently made the switch to solar energy. I am joining the forum because you guys seem to have a lot of knowedge.

I too would like to impart some wisdom. I own several self storage companies in the New York area. For awhile I had brainstormed ways to cut back on my energy costs. Solar was always a possibility, but I was timid to get started. I have talked with friends who have also been afraid to make the leap to go solar. After researching my options, I was surprised to find that solar is actually affordable. It's the kind of investment that lowers your energy costs, gives you a "green" edge when marketing your business, and it's even fun. Now I find out that new programs are being started on the federal level to give businesses who invest in alternative energy financial incentives.

Now is the time to switch to solar energy. Solar panels are becoming more efficient and abundant every year. Here is an article that talks about growth in solar energy production: Solar Increases 51%

I would like to encourage any business owner to invest in solar panels. Here is a recent blog post that I made about how to take the plunge and go green. Industrial energy vastly outweighs the energy used on the personal level.

Here's more of my story for those who are interested: Self Storage goes green with solar panels.

Comments

• KeithWHare
    KeithWHare Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    Re: Switching to Solar

This message smells of hype without substance, particularly the Self Storage goes green link that says:
    Every year solar panels become more efficient. Previous models that were 25% efficient, meaning that 25% of the sun’s energy that hits the panel is converted into energy, are being replaced by newer models that are able to reach 40% efficiency.

Have I missed something someplace? Are there really solar panels that are 25% efficient?

Keith
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

The only ones that I know of that are 40%+ efficient are used in space, where the cost-to-benefit makes it worthwhile. Panels we would buy are in the teens. Yeah, this feels a little like a hype piece.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

You're preaching to the choir Jax (literally).

I can see PV having a decent payback for a storage company, since that type of real estate rental business usually has large roof area and minimal electricity usage.

The numbers would be quite a bit different for a machine shop...

(Oh, and BTW - "Auction Date's" doesn't need an apostrophe.)
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

"(Oh, and BTW - "Auction Date's" doesn't need an apostrophe.)"

that would depend on what they are auctioning.:roll::p
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

As in they are auctioning dates?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

I want to know where to get these solar panels that are 25-40% efficient. I can only find ones up to 18% efficient. :confused:
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

it doesn't matter as you probably couldn't afford them coot.:roll:
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    it doesn't matter as you probably couldn't afford them coot.:roll:

You've been looking at my bank balance! :p