My SunWize SW100C Install

I am now using the free power of the sun! Phew, what a fun 5 hours that was in the Arizona sun today. Why do I pick the days that are over 100 to install outside stuff?!? :confused:

The panels I put on the TH are by SunWize and they are 100W each. I ordered them from . (note that we frown on the links, niel)

I used 8/2 cable that I housed in 1/2 electrical conduit. All of the mounting parts, wiring, etc. all came from Home Depot, in all another $105.

In the first image here, I positioned all of the parts to see what looked good, minimal shadows, etc. I also positioned cable and ran it through the conduit first to make sure I indeed purchase enough (30ft in all) and did a dry fit.
1.jpg

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Re: My SunWize SW100C Install

Once I finished the cable run, I went ahead and hooked up the wiring to the controller and the battery, leaving the fuse out between the battery and the controller. I measure the power from the panels wired in parallel and then connected them to the main run. I tested the power at the controller from the panels and all looked good. Final step, put the fuse in! Green lights!

2.jpg

3.jpg

I did not want to attempt to run cable through the cabin and under so I decided to mount the conduit as close to the ladder as possible. Not bad looking at all.

4.jpg

The final two images show the run and panels on the roof.

5.jpg

6.jpg

We are going out for 4 days next week but in the meantime, I'm keeping the batteries charged while it is parked...no more extension cord!!!!!!

I'll report back in a couple of weeks on my thoughts about going solar.
  • vcallaway
    vcallaway Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be curious to see how it effects your run time on battery.

I have a single 80w on my motorhome and found it does not make that much difference. I'm thinking about over the winter switching out for four of these 135 Watt Panels.

I'm in the NorthWest and would really like to boondock without having to run the generator.

Also, I thought the idea behind an MPPT controller was to wire the panels in series for higher voltage?

I have sooo much more I need to learn....
  • System2

The fist full day of being unplugged is going beyond my expectations. All day the panel has been showing 'Full' for the batteries and I have been running the stereo with a seperate Sirius receiver, the water pump, a 9" LCD tv. Before, in 4 hours of run time of those items, the panel would show 3/4 so this is a huge improvement for me. For the next 4 hours, I have left the other items on but have now turned on 8 LED lights, a fan in the bathroom and have plugged in my iPad for charging.

So far, I am SOLD on this panel setup!
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

I see two problems:

1. The panels look like they have only two each mounting points to the roof.

2. The SunSaver needs to mounted inside. Current location is going to get wet when traveling.

I do like the location next to the ladder, looks good.
  • System2
    n3qik wrote: »
    I see two problems:

1. The panels look like they have only two each mounting points to the roof.

2. The SunSaver needs to mounted inside. Current location is going to get wet when traveling.

I do like the location next to the ladder, looks good.

There are 4 mounting points; front right,rear left then opposite left/right on the sides. I also installed 3" PVC tubes under panel to prevent flex.

I have a cover that goes over the SunSaver. There just wasn't any place I could have put that unit and since the manufacturerer already had their own electrical box in the same area, I figured it would be the best in my situation.

The box for the SunSaver is simply a plastic "hobby" box from Fry's Electonics that has louvers on the sides that face the frame. I used a hose to try and get water in and I am sold that it will do the trick.
  • sloarlite
    sloarlite Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭

Gary, nice install!! Hope your 4 day trip proved that this is a great combination.
    I too have settled on this combo for my camper. Parts are on order.

Can you explain the 3 inch tubing you installed to keep the flex to a minimum.

Did you just 3m tape the hold downs?

Did you make your own tiedown brackets or use the Sunwize's.

Did you get the monitor for the controller and the temp sensor? If you have not added the temp sensor you might consider it.

Jim