PV Solar Design Software

Hello

First off what a great site.

I am looking for a few solar design software programs. What seems to be the most popular and up to date software out on the market for designs?

Thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,591 admin
    Re: PV Solar Design Software

What kind of solar design software are you looking for?

There is predicting the output of a solar array based on local solar irradiation data.

There is software/tools to predict the impact of shading by trees/buildings around a solar installation.

There is solar electric and solar thermal programs to define insulation (ceilings, walls, windows, floors, etc.) of buildings.

Lately there are some neat tools for people on grid to monitor their power consumption over time which can be very interesting. May make more people look at seriously upgrading heating/cooling/insulation/appliances for their homes--always a good thing.

And there are packages to estimate jobs, create parts lists, etc... for commercial installers...

And a lot more that I have not mentioned or even thought about.

While we have a few professionals here that design solar charge controllers/inverters and other commercial folks that do solar installing--for the most part many of us are just interested in solar / conservation and use a few rough tools to estimate solar output and use rules of thumbs to get systems "close enough" for people to be happy with the results.

Solar PV output can vary 10-20% or more year over year due to variations in weather. Add "losses" in power output (from solar panel "marketing rated power output" to actual usable AC 120 VAC power at the outlet) of nearly 50% for off-grid systems (not an "big problem"--more like the facts of life). Also, for off grid systems, they can only store around ~3 days of electrical power cost effectively.

So, getting "exact" numbers is frequently just an exercise in frustration.

Instead, design for 10-20% accuracy starting with knowledge of the loads, apply rules of thumb to get a quick (workable) system design, and ensure there is a backup generator to cover for a week or two of bad weather and/or visiting relatives. ;)

Your thoughts?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I agree....

I am looking for a program like solar design pro, or i found another called sun wind solutions software. It is a all in one program that you feed all the info to and it assists in creating a complete text and diagram layout that you would give to the customer. There are many put there, just looking for input on whats the best.

Thanks
  • LucMan
    LucMan Solar Expert Posts: 223 ✭✭✭

I use "Solar Pathfinder Assistant" available for PV and Thermal systems.
    Very accurate as you can enter any shading and will printout a complete report to give to the customer with monthly breakdowns and shading report.
  • Sam Jankis
    Sam Jankis Registered Users Posts: 4

There is a cool tool called Skelion... it is a plugin for Google SketchUp. This tool allows you to insert solar panels on surfaces according to your design parameters such as tilt, azimuth and type of solar panel. You can get solar energy production estimates also.

Check it out: www.skelion.net

Video presentation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_tFwL_h-NE&feature=player_embedded

Good luck!
  • ghethco
    ghethco Registered Users Posts: 1

I've just released a new software package intended to help in the creation of permit-ready solar plans, you can check it out at design4solar.com.

Gary