Morningstar Setup/Problem

I just added a DPDT switch (on-off-on) to a small solar system that has a Sunlight-10 controller that I use to control landscape lights. I added the switch so that I could charge two sets of batteries by manually switching the controller to another battery(ies) when the main battery is full.
When I finished wiring everything up it was dark and I noticed that switching to either battery does not turn on my lights. It does work with the "Test" button (5 minutes of power).
Do I have to wait for a day/night cycle so that the controller resets itself?

I think the instructions said connect 1- battery, 2- panels, 3- load but I have already tried wiring in that order.

TIA,
tsp

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Morningstar Setup/Problem

tsp,

I think you've figured out the problem. Here's the relevant section from page 10 of the SunLight's manual:
    Day-Night Transition
    The SunLight uses the solar array to detect day and night. The transition to night requires a solar insolation level less than 2 percent. The transition back to day requires a high solar array open-circuit voltage. Both state changes require 10 minutes of continuous transition values before making the change. These constraints avoid false transitions due to lightning or dark storm clouds.
    Measure Night Length
    The LIGHTING CONTROL options that turn the lights on again before sunrise require that the SunLight measure the length of the night. Therefore, the controller cannot turn the lights on before sunrise the first night after installation (or after reconnecting the battery). If the solar array is disconnected during service, the controller will then measure a faulty night length. Either reset the controller by reconnecting the battery, or this short “night” will be automatically corrected by the controller after 4 days of service.
    HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Re: Morningstar Setup/Problem

Crewzer,
    You are right. The unit is working fine tonight and it's on battery bank #2 (new set of batteries).

Thanks for the help,
    tsp