Installing NON "UL" approved Panels?

Options
Hello All,

I am a complete nuebee. Getting ready to install a solar system on my M/H.

I have read the posting about the NEC 2005 and the New 2007 PV paper posted on this site. So, I should not even be asking this question, but.

I have a RV and will probably go with 24VDC panels, a MPPT controller to charge my house batteries. I want about 30-40amps x 5 hours or about 150-200 amp hours to re-charge my batteries.

NOW the QUESTION? On E Bay there are 2 Mitsubishi panels that are listed. Both are 24VDC panels. One a 134Watt, the other a 167Watt panel. I called Mitsubishi and gave them the model numbers and found that the panels are intended to be sold in Europe. They have no "UL" listing. They do have a "IEC" rating

The panels operate fine in Europe and probably here, but with out the "UL" listing I am sure they could not be installed in a commercial instlation. But how about a personal instlation? Would a panel with a "IEC" rating be OK

So, can I have the groups opinion on this, knowing they probably would not meet some NEC code. I am not asking for a flame job, just some information from the experts.

Jim
'96 Safari 3540, 300 CAT

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Installing NON "UL" approved Panels?

RV and similar installations are not subject to UL approval for panels.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options
    Re: Installing NON "UL" approved Panels?

Why not install 12 volt panels and do away with the inverter losses and expense. Most RV equipment is 12 volt DC anyway. Use a gas refrig., stove and water-heater.