Net Metering or not or Why?

bart
bart Solar Expert Posts: 30
OK, the system up and running. SCE has not installed a new meter yet. But I'm watching the meter spin backwards. So I'm a little confused as the the reason(s) to sign up for net metering.

Isn't the meter spinning backwards the same as net metering? Or is it the only way to get the rebates is based on net metering results?

Can someone explain this?

Thanks, Bart

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Net Metering or not or Why?

In theory, not signing up for net metering is the same as not signing up as a solar energy generator (at least in my area)--And the utility can shut off your power.

Practically, your utility will either assume the meter reader miss-read the meter (if less than zero power used in the last 30 days) and the computer may simply "guess" a corrected reading (my bill went from $30 per month without solar to $180 for 10 days of GT with solar--Had all paper work from everyone signed off--but utility was late in installing new meter/setting up my account--computer assumed error in reading and added 1,000 kWH to my bill--figuring that was the "missed" number that took my usage "positive"--if that makes sense).

Or they will send out somebody to look at your meter for possible replacement.

Otherwise--many meters do not spin backwards (mechanical or electronic inhibit). And some newer electronic meters will only spin "forward"--and you will end up being charged for any excess power you generate.

If you never turn the meter backwards (your loads are always larger than your generation)--Then nothing strange would happen--unless the utility saw a string of lower bills and found solar panels on your place and/or the meter reader reported the panels.

In California--It is actually illegal to install any sort of generation system without utility approval, for the obvious safety reasons). But, it is also illegal because the utility took out loans for distribution/network equipment based on your home (business, farm, etc.) using $XXX per month worth of power. You installing your own power system (even if not grid tied) would "strand" the utilities'/investor's investments. Anyone installing a co-generation on grid / off grid system is supposed to pay the shared costs for the investments for the privileged of generation your own power.

Small Solar RE (and some other forms of power) are actually exceptions to the stranding laws/PUC regulations.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.

PS: I guess I should add that some utilities have different ways of accounting for surplus generated power (give different credits than simply "net metered" at the end of the month)--So your meter/billing may be different than just a meter spinning backwards.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • bart

Ok, thanks for that info. So to avoid problems it would be best to get them out here ASAP.

I'm curious, did you have to pay for the computer error? I think this might apply to me somewhat as the inverter is generating, but they have not been out here to make the approval yet. Paperwork has been signed and submitted and I did get an email asking for some corrections to the forms, but that was the last I heard from SCE.

My generation so far, which has only been the last 3 days, I'm showing basically that I'm covering my monthly bill so far.

Thanks, Bart
  • BB.

Bart,

They had "lost" my original meter--so they could not re-read it... I just had them look at my bill (and from my old house as we had moved fairly recently) and they saw that we were on the $30-$45 per month over a year... And, if I recall correctly, they just did the 10/30 day billing based on my historical bills.

I did not get any problem that "I was not let legal"--But, knowing bureaucracies--I would probably avoid and "early turn on" again and especially "going negative"--assuming they are going to be installing the meter in the next couple weeks.

PG&E was known back then (don't know now) for messing up many people's solar RE first month billing.

-Bill
  • bart

Crap! Good to know...

They should have read the meter on the 16th so I'll guess I didn't impact the meter read that much. However, the next read will be the one that gets me "busted" :confused:

Thanks again

Bart
  • BB.

Given the fact (as I read your posts) you are already going through the utility paper work and have final sign-off from the building inspector--I would not lose sleep over it (there are lots of worse things to stay awake about :cry:)

-Bill "just because you are paranoid does not mean they aren't out to get you" B.

PS: Clarified my previous post--They did the 10/30 billing based on my historical power bills--I did not get any credit for solar RE during that period.

Was a bit of surprise to my wife that our utility bill skyrocketed with our first GT solar powered invoice during very sunny weather... :roll:
  • nvyseal
    nvyseal Solar Expert Posts: 108 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Bart,

Yes you do need to sigh up for net metering with SCE. I am also with them. One cation though, They may get a little upset with you for having your system online IF they do come out. If you had your solar installed by a company, you have a 1 in 3 chance they will inspect your system, otherwise they will send you a tag to put onto your meter. Most likely they will not replace your meter unless your meter is one that does not record backwards. You should learn to read your meter and keep logs weekly if not daily of the reading. Generally Edison will take your word for misread meter billing, at least they have done this for me when i catch them in errors. Also they will give you a special phone number for net metering accounts. Keep this handy if you have any questions as the regular service center is not very helpful with questions regarding being a generator.

Go to SCE's site http://www.sce.com and plug in your zip code to see when you are scheduled to have your smart meter installed. While your there, also look up the net metering information. Edison is now paying residential generators for any excess power generated that year AFTER their first year anniversary. It wont be much, but at least its better than forfeiting the excess power

Also, if you haven't already, Sign up for SCE's online billpay If you generate more than you use, or just use a few kWh of edisons power, you bill will most likely less than the postage stamp, but you do need to pay that amount monthly even if you show a generator credit. Those are transmission charges. If you dont, they will charge you a finance charge and they could shut off your power.

Hope this helps,
    - Dave
  • bart

Thanks, good info...

I guess I'll be waiting a while for the smart meter :) "Your Edison SmartConnect™ meter will be installed between February 2012 and March 2012."

Bart