Gas refrigerator maintenance

solorone
solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
Thought I would post a reminder for those that use gas refrigerators.

As it got really hot here in Ga. I noticed my Crystal Cold fridge was not a cold as it should be. I do keep the remote thermometer it came with inside.

I took out the gas orifice,and cleaned it with 90% rubbing alcohol and my air compressor. Be careful with the alcohol it is highly flammable.

Also if you have a unit that is not cooling properly, you can test the thermostat by running the gas straight to the burner, if the temps go down then the thermostat is bad.

My fridge is cooling like new now, beating back that Ga heat, got -4 in the freezer:D

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Gas refrigerator maintenance

It is also a good idea to pull the baffle out of the boiler at least once a year, and blow out the boiler vent tube. These tend to accumulate rust that can fall into/onto the burner making the flame not correct.

The baffle is a twisted piece of steel that is suspended in the vent, to slow down the escape of flue gas. A baffle missing or rusted shorter than normal will make a LP fridge not run very well.

Tony
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    Re: Gas refrigerator maintenance
    icarus wrote: »
    It is also a good idea to pull the baffle out of the boiler at least once a year, and blow out the boiler vent tube. These tend to accumulate rust that can fall into/onto the burner making the flame not correct.

The baffle is a twisted piece of steel that is suspended in the vent, to slow down the escape of flue gas. A baffle missing or rusted shorter than normal will make a LP fridge not run very well.

Tony

Yes your right on there, I really should have mentioned that and also doing a good cleaning/dusting of the cooling fins on the back.

Just like a car, they need a tuneup every now and then to work right.