New to solar technical world, need help(homeowner)

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Hello all, I am new to the technical side of solar power and want to do everything myself to save money. I was wondering where I should begin when wanting to learn how to hook up panels to my system myself. I'm not cheap I am just on a fixed income (retirement).

I know a lot about solar energy but I do not know a lot about being an electrician and want a firm grounding (pun intended) in installing all the panels I need.

I was hoping to be pointed to some advanced books on the subject as well as some of the threads here that are about safety and installation. thank you and have a good Sunday! ;)

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Re: New to solar technical world, need help(homeowner)

Solite,

On the techical side, here is some information about the NEC (National Electric Code) side of things:

PV and the 2005 NEC -- Reference Document

Many places are using the newer 2008 NEC--So you need to find out what your location is using.

And, if you want to do it yourself, get a copy of the current NEC for your area... It is not that difficult to read, and there are many helpful tables on conduit, wire size/type, and other requirements. Pretty much mandatory if you are going to install a Grid Tied type system (solar panels + GT Inverter + connected to home wiring). Need full permits and, usually, utility approvals.

Solar specific wiring issues tend to focus on what type insulation for roof-top installation. And many locations require a professional engineer (PE) to sign off on the mechanical structure for panel mounting. As well as needing a licensed electrician to sign off the installation.

Some locations also require a licensed installer if you want to get state and/or local rebates.... A good place for rebates (and solar RE specific laws by state/city):

www.dsireusa.org

In the end--most of us are pretty cheap here... It is almost always better to spend your money on conservation (insulation, double pane insulated windows, skylights, Energy Star Appliances, more efficient heating/Air Conditioning, CFL lighting, laptop instead of desktop computers, turning things off--instead of "Standby"--when not being used, etc.).

A Kill-a-Watt meter is real handy for plug-in AC appliances (120 VAC 15 amps) to find the energy hogs.

You can also look at the various companies (like T.E.D.) selling whole home energy monitors. Those are fairly easy to install yourself.

If you have not done anything towards conservation, it is not impossible to cut your electrical usage by upwards of 50% without too much trouble. Conservation is a lifestyle choice--and different people will have to make their own choices.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    solite wrote: »
    ... to save money. I was wondering where I should begin ...

Conservation, conservation, conservation, conservation .... :p

Much better return per $ spent than any solar install. :D
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Are you speaking of grid tie or off grid? Grid tie gives ~twice as many watts for the money, along with nearly double the efficiency, giving way more bang for the buck.

Second, regardless of what you are trying to achieve, define your loads accurately, then design around those loads. Avoid the biggest single pitfall,,, the one of "Ready, Fire, Aim!

Welcome to the forum, good luck, and keep in touch,

Tony

PS The best place to learn is right here on this forum. There are some very smart folks who have forgotten more about PV than most of us will ever know. Use this experience to avoid constantly reinventing the wheel!

T
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    icarus wrote: »
    Are you speaking of grid tie or off grid? Grid tie gives ~twice as many watts for the money, along with nearly double the efficiency, giving way more bang for the buck.

Second, regardless of what you are trying to achieve, define your loads accurately, then design around those loads. Avoid the biggest single pitfall,,, the one of "Ready, Fire, Aim!

Welcome to the forum, good luck, and keep in touch,

Tony

PS The best place to learn is right here on this forum. There are some very smart folks who have forgotten more about PV than most of us will ever know. Use this experience to avoid constantly reinventing the wheel!

T

Yes grid tie is what I want to go with. I never knew it was so much better bang for the buck, I just did not want any batterys (costly and toxic).

There is so much here to absorb I will have to get my son to help me understand it all, next time he is around! thank you all! :)