boB if you dont ask ?

Hi boB

Im aware your developing a new MPPT charge controller and I admire market pioneers,.... if you would consider a European beta tester I would gladly pay for shipment and cost of product to become a beta tester for your new unit , the new Classic. I also have a 1kw windturbine and would help with the development of the Clipper...... Im quite happy to loose colour co ordination see *Xantrex Forum* As I said if you dont ask your dont get !

Cheeky Nigel

Comments

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: boB if you dont ask ?

Hello... I'm awake !
    Yes, don't ask, don't tell.... right ??
    If you don't ask, you'll never know. That's correct.

Anyway, We'll know more a bit later. Not ~quite~ ready yet. Keep in touch.
    We're running the booth here at Sol West with a Classic and PV though.

boB
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

Thxs for reply Ill keep an I on your website, sorry 2 wake u. lol
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Hi boB, is there any news on the horizon as to the release of the Classic?

Looked at the Midnight Web site but the posting by Robin (undated) does not appear to have changed since I last visisted it.

TTFN

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • boB

We're still working hard on the Classic. There are some little humps regarding software that must be jumped over first before we go downhill. That is SOooo much closer now.

Either Robin will see your message about new postings or I will let him know you asked about it.

I probably shouldn't be checking this forum so often, huh ? But we all need a break once in a while. Thank you for inquring !!

PS... However, there IS a new image/picture directory on the web site: http://www.midnitesolar.com/pix/

boB... Back to the freeway, which is already in progress !
  • westbranch

hI boB, How is the Classic coming these days?
    Can you please give us an update?
    (The document page on MS does not appear to have been updated in a loooong time.)

thanks

Eric

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • boB
    westbranch wrote: »
    hI boB, How is the Classic coming these days?
    Can you please give us an update?
    (The document page on MS does not appear to have been updated in a loooong time.)
    thanks
    Eric

Sorry Eric... Alpha stage testing is coming up very soon in a couple of locations. This has turned out to be a way more complicated unit that I thought.

Sorry I can't really be much more explicit than this today, doggone it, but I think it will be well worth the (short now) wait. :D

boB
  • westbranch

thanks bOB.

" Patience dear lad " some one said... also 'the best laid plans of mice and men....'

I know programing Beta testing, been there done that, but what is entailed in your Alpha testing? Max load Test to Fail? mean time to failure?

Eric

• nigtomdaw

Look forward to new news !:D
  • nigtomdaw

Alpha testing ? Trying your (her in doors) latest recipe? You live bring on the Beta Testing :cool:
  • westbranch

Alpha test: saying you will 'help' cook dinner.... then just start stirring something on the stove!;) that is Alpha! then you are ooot with the dawg.

EJ

• boB

We always have to feed our dogs.... All they can do by themselves is to eat from the garbage if we let them. :D
    boB
  • nigtomdaw

Any updates feel left in the dark at the mo but guess your both busy:cool:
  • boB

Still making good progress.

BTW, that MF80 and MF60 diversion feature (in a new thread here) has been in the Classic design for quite a while now. It's the way to go for using up every possible electron.

boB :D
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi boB,

Having trouble WAITING for your new Classic box. Hope it will still do Wind turbine CC, as the trubine "controllers" that I've seen are ssoooo rudimentary as to approach uselessness for anything but mostly dead batteries -- do not seem to play well with a hybrid system.

Have a current application for a bright CC in hybrid system with 3 KW turbine.

Know that you guys are striving for a do all box, and that takes lotta time.

Please let us know how you are doing. 73 Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • boB
    Vic wrote: »
    Hi boB,
    Having trouble WAITING for your new Classic box.

:blush:
    Vic wrote: »
    Hi boB,
    Having trouble WAITING for your new Classic box. Hope it will still do Wind turbine CC, as the trubine "controllers" that I've seen are ssoooo rudimentary as to approach uselessness for anything but mostly dead batteries -- do not seem to play well with a hybrid system.

Yes, it does do wind. That wasn't too hard actually. It's just everything else.

boB :D
  • westbranch

boB, I know you guys have 3 ports on the Classic for communications. Can you tell us a bit about what will be needed to gather output? Programs, additional hardware (like a Mate?), adapters?

I looked at the MS site but not too detailed other than the 3 ports (protocols?).

thanks
    Eric

• halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

The Classic will have a built in web server. I would not think you will need anything special to view Classic info just a usb or Ethernet cable. The display is a Remote it is removable and you will get blank displays if they are not all needed. It is very simple to switch between devices on the remote display.
  • westbranch

thanks HC, that answers some of my questions, the others are :

can you, on request, download all the stored raw data,in .XLS or in a format that allows it to be transferred to a spreadsheet? CSV?
    do you have to access all 32 Mb of the stored data or select one portion only?
    since there is a server on board, what is the parasitic load?
    with 3 ports is there signal strength boost required? ie TTL? or is this internal?

thanks
    Eric

• boB
    thanks HC, that answers some of my questions, the others are :

can you, on request, download all the stored raw data,in .XLS or in a format that allows it to be transferred to a spreadsheet? CSV?
    You can always convert to excel of course. I wouldn't expect this to be in the Classic, directly, at least not at first.
    do you have to access all 32 Mb of the stored data or select one portion only?
    No. Smaller chunks welcome, of course. It would take quite a while to download 32 MB at once.
    Hmmmm..... Not sure what you mean, but the Classic keeps on tickin' as it's being accessed.
    with 3 ports is there signal strength boost required? ie TTL? or is this internal?
    Probababably not. Maybe if your connection is a mile away or something like that.

:D
  • GreenerPower
    GreenerPower Solar Expert Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    boB wrote: »
    Hmmmm..... Not sure what you mean, but the Classic keeps on tickin' as it's being accessed.
    I think he meant the wattage drawn from battery after sun down.
    GP
  • boB
    I think he meant the wattage drawn from battery after sun down.
    GP

Ahhhh Yes... Of course.

Right now, it's about 1 and 1/2 Watts. I think I can make that better though.

boB

EDIT: Just to clarify... This one and 1/2 (maybe one and 1/2 to 2.0) Watt idle is when the unit is not converting. Just sitting there ready to go and displaying voltages, etc. CCs are always higher idle, tare when switching and converting from high voltage to another voltage. Always. That's one reason why low power efficiency does not measure very good. HOWEVER ! The idle is actually 0.0 Watts when it's disconnected ! How 'bout THAT !
  • westbranch

Thanks boB, neat unit, can't wait for it to hit the streets running full out...;)

good that it has a nice low wattage draw,

re the data download, I was thinking of a 'data dump' onto a zip drive for the whole 32 Mb. Just have to be able to instruct the server to send it some how. I assume the transfer will be server initiated so no aftermarket programs needed. ??

Quote:

Probababably not. Maybe if your connection is a mile away or something like that

from this I take it that normal cat5 cable length or an RS232 cable, in a small house would not need boosting..

thanks for the update,
    Anxiously waiting,8)
    Eric

• Vic

Hey boB,

I cannot wait !! Know that there must many, many details, especially in the Hardware, and my MX-60s are doing fine, but need one or two more CCs. May have to go to the X, altho, seems there is more noise in that 'circuit', due to that aqcuisition, and so on.

Sure hope to be able to buy a Classic very soon !

73 GL, and am impatiently waiting ! Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • boB
    Thanks boB, neat unit, can't wait for it to hit the streets running full out...;)

good that it has a nice low wattage draw,

re the data download, I was thinking of a 'data dump' onto a zip drive for the whole 32 Mb. Just have to be able to instruct the server to send it some how. I assume the transfer will be server initiated so no aftermarket programs needed. ??

We have one piece of PC/MAC/LINUX software that is being worked on now that will be able to do this download of the data. In addition, the comm format will be open source, (plus modbus like Xantrex and Morningstar), so others should be able to work with us. I really think it's good that some of the manufacturers are choosing some kind of standard for communications in our industry, even though it's not "perfect". Modbus and modbus over Ethernet does seem like a good choice out of the pile of choices though.
    Quote:
    Probababably not. Maybe if your connection is a mile away or something like that
    The RS232 that communicates from one unit to the other is a kind of "beefed up", more reliable system that should be good for running a Remote from the power shed into the house, for instance. So far, I am not worried about length, but I'm sure there is "some" practical limit.

I remember, when we were designing the OutBack communications, running the cables 1000 feet, around buildings and noisey power lines and just not having a problem. It's sorta-similar to RS232 and I don't think the MidNite comm. should be any worse. Maybe for the ethernet, connecting it with a wi-fi router may be a good way to communicate to the house, rather than running wires and/or boosters/swithces (if even necessary).

I do like the isolation of the ethernet though. We also have USB, and that is not isolated of course.

I will say that communications is one of the biggies that makes these things take longer to design. It gets very complicated, but I believe is very necessary to having a good product these days.

And Vic. This summer for sure. 20+ more/newer betas are going out shortly too.

Well, back to work now so I can make sure that happens !

boB
  • Vic

Thanks boB,

Sounds great ! Back to work !! 73, Thanks Vic
  • burnteaglefeather
    burnteaglefeather Registered Users Posts: 1

thanks for the info will have test site ready for wireless router to dsl connection have three wind turbines 7 footer 10 footer and 12 footer up now charging 24 volt bank will be waiting, also have wvo gen working this winter even in the cold. Have calf shelter over gen to keep wvo warm works to -20 deg f wow keep pluging along me too cheers Mike Johnson Eagle Energy Solutions LLC clearwater MN 55904 you tube ibeweagle
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

boB,

Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?

:D

Thurmond
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

They are actually building production units in small batches now. The 150 volt unit is rated at 96 amps. this is one heck of a controller here is a blurb from Robin

MidNite Solar has successfully completed ETL testing on the Classic. ETL testing confirms that the Classic is the most powerful MPPT charge controller in North America.

MidNite is doubling its factory floor space for adequate room to build the Classic. They also are purchasing surface mount equipment to do all board assembly in house. What this means is the Classic will be the only real “Made in America” charge controller. All other major controllers are either made outside the US or at a minimum have their boards built outside the US.

The Classic beta program for industry professionals will begin along with limited consumer sales. Industry professionals will be allowed to participate in the beta program. This beta program is not for consumers. There are strict guidelines that must be met in order to qualify. Please contact robin@midnitesolar.com for details.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    halfcrazy wrote: »
    They are actually building production units in small batches now. The 150 volt unit is rated at 96 amps. this is one heck of a controller here is a blurb from Robin

MidNite Solar has successfully completed ETL testing on the Classic. ETL testing confirms that the Classic is the most powerful MPPT charge controller in North America.

MidNite is doubling its factory floor space for adequate room to build the Classic. They also are purchasing surface mount equipment to do all board assembly in house. What this means is the Classic will be the only real “Made in America” charge controller. All other major controllers are either made outside the US or at a minimum have their boards built outside the US.

The Classic beta program for industry professionals will begin along with limited consumer sales. Industry professionals will be allowed to participate in the beta program. This beta program is not for consumers. There are strict guidelines that must be met in order to qualify. Please contact robin@midnitesolar.com for details.

Thanks,

I saw all that on their website. I haven't talked to Robin in months but I am on the long beta list. Just prodding boB to see whats up.

Thurmond
  • boB
    Tritium wrote: »
    Thanks,

I saw all that on their website. I haven't talked to Robin in months but I am on the long beta list. Just prodding boB to see whats up.

Thurmond

The production area here at MidNite has been shaping up nicely. :D

We still anticipate around one more month until production units come out of there.

boB