Do Solar cells vary in their response to different wavelengths, or color, of light?

Options
Hi,
I am thinking of doing an experiment on solar panels. I need to know whether solar cells vary in their response to different wavelengths, or color, of light?

Thanks alot

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Do Solar cells vary in their response to different wavelengths, or color, of ligh

http://www.solarnavigator.net/how_solar_cells_work.htm
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options
    Re: Do Solar cells vary in their response to different wavelengths, or color, of ligh

Found a spectral response curve for a typical silicon photo diode...

However, if you are trying to make accurate measurements, you should pick a part where you can get the response curve specifications. The construction of of the detector and variations in design (based on requirements) can shift the curve quite a bit (plus some detectors may have filters so that they mimic the response of the human eye for use in those types of applications).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

hi,
    Thanks alot guys. Admin that post was really good. I got a lot of knowledge about solar panels. Also BB thanks for the link. It's really going to be useful in my experiments. I can refer to it and check with my results.

Thanks alot.
    Dilan