New XW4024 - Two Year Old Manufacturing Date

Options
Elke
Elke Solar Expert Posts: 28
I just bought and installed a "new" Xantrex XW4024. Its manufacturing date is 15/April/2008. The XW System Control Panel was manufactured in August 2008. This is two years ago! Should I be concerend about the two year old pieces of electronics with potentially not updated hardware issues?

I already learned, that the firmware needs to be updated. I am looking into borrowing the required dongle from the dealer, if he has it.

Just out of curiosity: Shouldn't equipment, which is sold as new, be up-to-date at the date of purchase? Or else be labeled as "update-required" and sold at a discount to offset for the troble of updating it in the field?

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: New XW4024 - Two Year Old Manufacturing Date

Ask the dealer you bought the equipement from these questions as its either him or his distributor that had it laying around, Xantrex has had no issues selling the XW equipment.

As for the Hardware, I believe its the same so once you load the latest firmware there isn't any difference.
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options

I would make sure the serial number is on the bill of sale. That way you are not losing two years of warranty.
  • Elke
    Elke Solar Expert Posts: 28
    Options

Thank you for the advice.
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Options

Give it a birthday cake with two candles on the appropriate date!