DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt

AntronXAntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭
And it has 20 year / 80% power guarantee. Vmp = 76V and efficiency = 6.5%, so they will require double the space than mono/poly silicon panels. These seem similar to Kaneka panels, just a bit larger. The Vmp is very close to 3 of my Evergreens in series, so I could just parallel these to my existing wiring. http://sunelec.com/index.php?main_page=dupont_da100_a1
«1

Comments

  • tallgirltallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt

    I've been telling people that solar panels are getting cheap enough to use for building materials. These =definitely= sound like they'd be idea for patio, walkway and carport covering.

    Plus -- Federal Tax Credit!!!
  • mike95490mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt
    Want to be a Solar Power Producer and sell the generated power to your local Hydro at 80 cents a KWh. Just send us your e-mail and we will send you all the necessary information......


    Oh goodie, another get rich quick scheme. Gee, in six weeks I can... oh oh, I AM the local plant. bummer
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

    solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

  • CariboocootCariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Oh goodie, another get rich quick scheme. Gee, in six weeks I can... oh oh, I AM the local plant. bummer

    You might be interested in a new scheme of mine where you generate your own power, sell the surplus back to yourself, and make a profit. Just send me $5 to find out how! ... :p
  • BB.BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 31,625 admin
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt

    jhonydeep who? ;) (out of India)

    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • retrodogretrodog Solar Expert Posts: 53 ✭✭
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt

    Heck, even if you didn't use the power, put them on your roof anyway. They make great radiant heat barriers. ;)
  • silent wolfsilent wolf Solar Expert Posts: 92 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt

    Hey, where do you buy these? When I went to a solar convention, a Japanese brand was selling them for $1.08/ watt. I have been looking around, but can't find a dealer that sells thin film near me, any ideas?

    It just seems shipping is pricey.

    Nevermind, I just saw they are located in tucson/ phoenix area.
  • hmansourhmansour Registered Users Posts: 18
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Oh goodie, another get rich quick scheme. Gee, in six weeks I can... oh oh, I AM the local plant. bummer

    YES THIS TRUE ONTARIO PAYS 80 CENTS PER KW h under their FIT program
  • hmansourhmansour Registered Users Posts: 18
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Oh goodie, another get rich quick scheme. Gee, in six weeks I can... oh oh, I AM the local plant. bummer

    You WRONG, ONTARIO PAYS 80 Cents under their FIT program see link

    http://fit.powerauthority.on.ca/Storage/101/11071_FIT_Price_Schedule_July_2_2010.pdf
  • hmansourhmansour Registered Users Posts: 18
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt

    DuPont SOlar Panels are really good, I tested one North American Model from their Reseller in Canada (www.mindcanada.com) it really worked great even facing north I got 95%.
    Unfortunately the model sold by sunelec is A1 model made to European market and they are not UL approved. The UL approved is A2 Model sold at MindCanada.com. In addition I called sunelec they mentioned B grade A1 Model which is not Grade A so be aware.
    By the way I saw some Panels from DuPont A2 model on Ebay for $1.50 per watt per ballet (29 pcs) check it out, great price. If you order 464 pcs one container Delivery Free
    I also came to know from the Cnadian reseller that DuPont will have a hybrid solar panel 130 W with the same dimensions as the A2-100W Model in September This with efficiency of 10% a great number for thin Film.
  • BB.BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 31,625 admin
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt
    hmansour wrote: »
    DuPont SOlar Panels are really good, I tested one North American Model from their Reseller in Canada ... it really worked great even facing north I got 95%.

    What are you saying about facing north and 95% of what? Solar panels have to face the sun and if off by more than 10 degrees--the power output falls off in a Cosine curve. Facing a panel away from the sun will generate little energy. :confused:

    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • hmansourhmansour Registered Users Posts: 18
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt
    BB. wrote: »
    What are you saying about facing north and 95% of what? Solar panels have to face the sun and if off by more than 10 degrees--the power output falls off in a Cosine curve. Facing a panel away from the sun will generate little energy. :confused:

    -Bill

    Not True
    You do not need direct sunlight for Thin Film. I tested this personally, Thin Film Panel from Dupont at 5:00 PM facing north at 45 degrees inclination produced 95 volts from a rated 100 V OC. I have installed 100 KW on a barn in Hamilton Ontario Canada and half the panels were facing northwest. we got power better than the best leading brands facing south. We recommend thin Film from DuPont to all applications with shade problem as they are superior to the other silicon technologies.
  • Solar GuppySolar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt

    BS

    You came to the wrong place to peddle your wares
  • dreesdrees Solar Expert Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt
    hmansour wrote: »
    You do not need direct sunlight for Thin Film. I tested this personally, Thin Film Panel from Dupont at 5:00 PM facing north at 45 degrees inclination produced 95 volts from a rated 100 V OC
    Voltage is meaning less without knowing current...
  • hmansourhmansour Registered Users Posts: 18
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt
    drees wrote: »
    Voltage is meaning less without knowing current...

    Agree, We did have a 40 Watt lamp and we tested we got 76 Volts and slightly above 1 amp with the 40 Watt lamp on. and panel at 45 degrees facing north at about 5 PM in June
  • CariboocootCariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt

    Everybody now:

    Moonlight becomes you,
    It sparkles in your eyes ...


    You can shine any light on any solar panel and get the Voc to shoot up. But that does not produce any actual power.

    The power comes from the sun. No sun, no power. Low sun, low power. Otherwise the panel would have to be over 100% efficient. Monocrystaline and polycrystaline panels also produce Voltage and current at less than ideal insolation, but their output under said circumstances is also less than ideal.

    Why, I just read where they've improved amorphous panels to 9% efficiency, which is still 1/2 of the crystaline ones are.
  • CariboocootCariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt
    hmansour wrote: »
    Agree, We did have a 40 Watt lamp and we tested we got 76 Volts and slightly above 1 amp with the 40 Watt lamp on. and panel at 45 degrees facing north at about 5 PM in June

    Just saw this post. 76 Volts @ 1 Amp output is 76 Watts. You get this from shining a 40 Watt light on it? Amazing!

    Also totally impossible.
  • hmansourhmansour Registered Users Posts: 18
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt
    Everybody now:

    Moonlight becomes you,
    It sparkles in your eyes ...


    You can shine any light on any solar panel and get the Voc to shoot up. But that does not produce any actual power.

    The power comes from the sun. No sun, no power. Low sun, low power. Otherwise the panel would have to be over 100% efficient. Monocrystaline and polycrystaline panels also produce Voltage and current at less than ideal insolation, but their output under said circumstances is also less than ideal.

    Why, I just read where they've improved amorphous panels to 9% efficiency, which is still 1/2 of the crystaline ones are.

    You are mixing things here, efficiency has nothing to do with power production.
    100 Watts would produce 100 Watts the efficiency of Thin Film belongs to the space taken to produce the 100 Watts as may be mono-Si would require 30-40% less space. The game then would be is it cost effective to use more land/space for a solar array with lower panel cost or use less space for a higher panel cost. Do your math.
    In most of the cases I worked with I found most land based solar farms in Canada used thin film solar panels and roof tops using alternative panels (mono or Poly) as per their space requirements.
    I tell you this, I visited a new 24 MW solar plant in Arnperior Ontario in January the weather was snowy at -20 Deg C. and I checked the meter for a 10MW leg of the array and it was producing 8 MW even half the panels were covered with snow and with cloudy skies. This solar farm used Thin Film.
  • BB.BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 31,625 admin
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt
    hmansour wrote: »
    Agree, We did have a 40 Watt lamp and we tested we got 76 Volts and slightly above 1 amp with the 40 Watt lamp on. and panel at 45 degrees facing north at about 5 PM in June

    I am not understanding your setup... What kind of 40 watt lamp (filament, 12 volt / 120 volt, etc.). 1 amp at 76 volts is 76 watts which would just about pop a 40 watt bulb. And a 40 watt 120 VAC bulb cannot pull 1 amp at 75 volts--so the math is not working.

    Very simply, a panel facing north will output only a few percent (or even much less) than it will pointing at sun, with full sun, at solar noon.

    You need to be very careful and clear about your test and measurements. Otherwise, nobody is going to trust your numbers/testing.

    So far, your tests appear to be of, more or less, meaningless parameters and cannot be supported by the physics.

    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • hmansourhmansour Registered Users Posts: 18
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt
    Just saw this post. 76 Volts @ 1 Amp output is 76 Watts. You get this from shining a 40 Watt light on it? Amazing!

    Also totally impossible.

    It is either your first language not english or you did not read my post clearly. The lamp was using the power from the solar panel was not shining on the panel. the panel was using daylight at 5:00 PM.
  • CariboocootCariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt

    So can you show us the data chart of the output from the thin-film panels vs. the output from the crystaline ones tested alongside under exactly the same conditions?

    Efficiency has everything to do with power production when you're talking about the efficiency of converting one form of power in to another (as in sunlight in to electricity).

    Otherwise yes it would come down to $ per Watt so long as available array area is not an issue.

    But a claim that thin-film will produce better than crystaline under adverse conditions ... You'll have a hard time convincing anyone here of that, I think.
  • BB.BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 31,625 admin
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt
    hmansour wrote: »
    I tell you this, I visited a new 24 MW solar plant in Arnperior Ontario in January the weather was snowy at -20 Deg C. and I checked the meter for a 10MW leg of the array and it was producing 8 MW even half the panels were covered with snow and with cloudy skies. This solar farm used Thin Film.

    The physics of solar panels would produce roughly the same amount with either thin film or crystalline solar panels in the same conditions you have described.

    With out using a pyrometer or some other solar reference cell to measure the flux at the panels (direct, reflected from snow, back scatter from clouds, etc.) -- just looking at the array conditions--you could be off by +/- 50% in estimating their output -- let alone trying to compare with other panel types.

    The output of either of the major types of solar panels is directly proportional to the flux of the solar energy hitting them--does not matter what type of commercial solar panel.

    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • hmansourhmansour Registered Users Posts: 18
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt
    BB. wrote: »
    I am not understanding your setup... What kind of 40 watt lamp (filament, 12 volt / 120 volt, etc.). 1 amp at 76 volts is 76 watts which would just about pop a 40 watt bulb. And a 40 watt 120 VAC bulb cannot pull 1 amp at 75 volts--so the math is not working.

    Very simply, a panel facing north will output only a few percent (or even much less) than it will pointing at sun, with full sun, at solar noon.

    You need to be very careful and clear about your test and measurements. Otherwise, nobody is going to trust your numbers/testing.

    So far, your tests appear to be of, more or less, meaningless parameters and cannot be supported by the physics.

    -Bill

    Bill
    to be more clear, we have placed a 100 W thin Film Panel from Dupont Facing North, on the back of the panels we attached a 40 Watt DC lamp and the Ammeter to the leads from the JB and we got 76 Volts and 1.04 Amps.
    we moved the panel to the south we got 88 Volts.
    This done at a customer site in Hamilton who signed with us for a 250KW system.
    They did the testing I only was invited to see the results compared to a Sharp Panel that did not function as good as DuPont.
  • hmansourhmansour Registered Users Posts: 18
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt
    BB. wrote: »
    The physics of solar panels would produce roughly the same amount with either thin film or crystalline solar panels in the same conditions you have described.

    With out using a pyrometer or some other solar reference cell to measure the flux at the panels (direct, reflected from snow, back scatter from clouds, etc.) -- just looking at the array conditions--you could be off by +/- 50% in estimating their output -- let alone trying to compare with other panel types.

    The output of either of the major types of solar panels is directly proportional to the flux of the solar energy hitting them--does not matter what type of commercial solar panel.

    -Bill

    Bill Send me your e-mail, I would send you a study done by DuPont comparing this film over a year with other technologies and the result was 20 % more power generated for the same capacity same orientation panels.
  • dreesdrees Solar Expert Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt
    hmansour wrote: »
    to be more clear, we have placed a 100 W thin Film Panel from Dupont Facing North, on the back of the panels we attached a 40 Watt DC lamp and the Ammeter to the leads from the JB and we got 76 Volts and 1.04 Amps.
    So 79 W, pretty good. At what time of day/year was this done, and angle was the panel mounted at?
    hmansour wrote: »
    we moved the panel to the south we got 88 Volts.
    How many amps? I suspect well over 1.04??? Same mounting angle as before?
  • jeffkrusejeffkruse Solar Expert Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt

    Since its summer now doesn’t the sun come from the north slightly in the Northern hemisphere? Try pointing your panels away from the sun and tell us how much power they give you.
  • hmansourhmansour Registered Users Posts: 18
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt
    jeffkruse wrote: »
    Since its summer now doesn’t the sun come from the north slightly in the Northern hemisphere? Try pointing your panels away from the sun and tell us how much power they give you.

    Sorry I said that more than once already we pointed north at 5 :00 PM this means sun is in the back of the panel we got the 76 volts (with a 40 watt DC lamp at the JB) done at Grimsby Ontario near Hamilton. when faced west we got 88 Volts with the 40 Watt lamp powered from the panel.
    If you need further info or tests, let me know what setup (detailed setup) and I would do it next week. Believe me, DuPont Panels are superior to all non thinfilm panels in the market. I seen it myself.
  • nielniel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt

    from post #23 "we moved the panel to the south we got 88 Volts."
    from post #27 "......when faced west we got 88 Volts with the 40 Watt lamp powered from the panel"

    :confused::confused::confused::confused::roll:
  • silent wolfsilent wolf Solar Expert Posts: 92 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt

    Hey guys, looking at the link again, it doesn't work for me, does it work for you?
  • AntronXAntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt
    Hey guys, looking at the link again, it doesn't work for me, does it work for you?

    Looks like they have removed that page. They no longer have Kaneka, or DuPont thin-film panels for sale.
  • silent wolfsilent wolf Solar Expert Posts: 92 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: DuPont 100W thin-film panel $1.20/watt

    Darn, I was going to order some too.
Sign In or Register to comment.