Off grid solar panel mounts

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
I am going to purchase 4- 200 Watt (or so) panels for my campsite in Calaveras County, CA. We are about 3800 feet near Avery CA. I currently have a home built mount for 2 panels, and need advice on a cost effective (I am retired!) mount that will survive the winters and not break the bank (Ha!). I need advice on top mount, ground mount... that will be about 30 feet from my controller. I have 8-6V 220Ahr golf cart batteries in series/parallel for 12 V to the Magnum Inverter in the trailer. I have an Onan 5500 W genset in the trailer. I hope the picture of my current situation works here.

Thanks

Doug

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Off grid solar panel mounts

Simple Uni-strut angle iron (available at Home Depot) and or some treated 2x4s and some stainless steel bolts. (Aluminum and galvanized steel don't play too well together).

Can be made pretty simple. Just figure what your snow loads (if any) are likely to be.

Tony
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭

My panels are mounted on unistrut using spring-nuts. The unistrut is mounted to a homemade top of pole mount. I have used an old C-band satellite hardware for a small top of pole mount.

Unistrut isn't cheap but, is sure handy! Closest thing I have found to erector set for big boys! Look in the electrical section of the Depot or Lowe's.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

what are spring nuts?
  • mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    what are spring nuts?
    I think I may be one!
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    icarus wrote: »
    what are spring nuts?

Saw a bunch of 'em today. Driving down the road trying to kill me with their cars.

To the OP: is this a semi-permanent install at a remote location? I'd be concerned about leaving solar panels at ground level unattended.

If they want to come try steal them off my roof ... I will not pay the funeral costs! :roll:
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭

Mikeo, I think you are like me ... more nut than spring LOL
    Springnut