Insulation around those Recessed Cans

gweedo
gweedo Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
Found a great article at another site about insulating around those recessed cans and thought this would be another great place to post.

The cans seep a lot of air to and from the attic, some studies showing as much as $10 per year per can. Having 12 recessed cans in Central Florida, I'm doing it.

Link is here: http://www.greenbuildingtalk.com/Forums/tabid/53/aff/14/aft/76093/afv/topic/afpg/1/Default.aspx

And the "Money Pic" is here (attached):

attachment.php?attachmentid=1086&stc=1&d=1270747204

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Insulation around those Recessed Cans

once done do not ever go to a standard incandescent even temporarily as the heat would build up fast and create a hazard even if you went to a lower wattage bulb.
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭

They also have cans rated for direct insulation contact which are basically air tight, don't they - why not use those instead of the box around the can?

I guess if the cans are already in the ceiling, that's a good retrofit - otherwise why not use the proper can from the start?
  • gweedo
    gweedo Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭

Have existing cans, that's why. Should have explained that.

Best
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭

Yeah, looks like a pretty easy way to seal up those cans. And the insulation board is pretty inexpensive. I would think that foil backed board might hold up to the heat better.

The bigger you can make the box, the better.