Solar Power to keep pond level up

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Hi Folks,
New to the forum and am considering using solar power to keep my pond level up during the dry spring and summer months here in south Louisiana. I found this site searching the net looking for possible solutions and systems to use for solar water pumping. I found the Shurflo 9300 pump and am considering a solar system to power this pump and maybe use it to run my shop lighting in the winter months when the pond doens't need water.

A little history about what I presently have, about a year ago I had a pond dug and I installed a water pumping windmill and a water well in hopes that it will keep the level up in my pond. The windmill is an antique Baker Heller 6.5 foot and the well pump is down my well 60 foot where the well water level is normally around 20 to 30 foot below the surface depending some on the level of the Mississippi river which is one mile to the south of me.
I really don't want to burn any electricity to keep the pond full, wind didn't do it so maybe solar is the way to go? I admit I don't know what kind of volumn I will need to keep my pond full and if possible would like to be able to install the pump on the bottom of my wind mill pump that way I can use either solar or wind to keep my pond full. If I have to I am willing to pull my windmill pump off and maybe convert my windmill to an airpump so that it will function as an aerator for my pond.

Any direction or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭
    Re: Solar Power to keep pond level up

Not knowing how much volume is a killer...
    I would recommend a SunPump SDS, more reliable than the surflow.
    Does the pond leak or are the losses due to evaporation & critters?
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

south Louisiana = insane amounts of evaporation

If the wind mill can't keep it filled, your going to need massive amounts of electric to fill a pond. Grid Electric is is about 1/10th the cost than solar for your area so for 1-200 hundred you can get a cheap harbor freight pump and let it run ... at a minimum it will allow you to know the gallons per hour/day you looking at, but I'd say is a losing battle for a southern location an temps regularly in the 90's
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    audredger wrote: »
    Not knowing how much volume is a killer...
    I would recommend a SunPump SDS, more reliable than the surflow.
    Does the pond leak or are the losses due to evaporation & critters?

I think it's a combination of both evaporation and leakage. I find that it really goes down fast the first 2 feet drop and slows quit a bit from there. If I can just keep it from dropping any further than 2 feet low I would be happy. I will take a look at the SunPump. Thanks
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    south Louisiana = insane amounts of evaporation

If the wind mill can't keep it filled, your going to need massive amounts of electric to fill a pond. Grid Electric is is about 1/10th the cost than solar for your area so for 1-200 hundred you can get a cheap harbor freight pump and let it run ... at a minimum it will allow you to know the gallons per hour/day you looking at, but I'd say is a losing battle for a southern location an temps regularly in the 90's

Even though it's hot here the humidity is typically very high, in the summer it's 90%+ on a regular basis so evaporation might not be as bad as you would think. I know of quit a few ponds in the area that keep them full using the grid just not sure what size pumps they are using. Thanks for the idea on the Harbor Freight pumps, I will take a look to see what they have.
  • bluetick
    bluetick Registered Users Posts: 19

You can use bentonite clay to slow the water seepage. An oil drilling supply will have it in 100 pound sacks.