Will the price of PV panels drop soon?

Options
machineman
machineman Solar Expert Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
I've seen lots of buzz about many new large factories and R&D facilites openeing up around the world (Canada, US, India, China, etc..). Many have the goal of making solar more affordable by mass production. Does anyone have any insight as to when this will actually happen? Seems like its in progress.

One of many corporate articles on the subject:
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39631

"Currently, solar panels are in the $8-9/W range installed. Signet hopes to bring that down to $3/W by 2010. One of the key parts to this is the size of the panels, bigger is better. The goal is to have $1.25/W panels when production starts in 2008, and drop that to sub-$1 by 2010."

Off Grid Cabin, 24V 440ah 6V GC battery bank, Xantrex MPPT60-150 CC, Magnum MS4024 inverter-charger, >1200w Solar bank

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Will the price of PV panels drop soon?

That "news" article is just PR for yet "another" Asi PV start-up ... Asi has been making promises for over two decades about low $$/watt, and one by one they fold up shop after milking millions from investors.

There is nothing on the horizon that will make PV cheaper ... demand continues to out pace supplies and even when there is over supply's, the lowest price I have seen was about 2.50 watt US in 2003 ( just the panels not installed ) , but looking forward dollar based PV will have to contend with the ever decreasing value of the our peso :-o opps dollar to other world currencies

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

While prices will probably drop gradually over time, the time span in that article is just fantasy.

I would expect about a 2-5% decrease in the price of panels per year over the next 10 years or so, so in 2015 it might be down to $3 a watt in quantities.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wind-s2 wrote:
    I would expect about a 2-5% decrease in the price of panels per year over the next 10 years or so, so in 2015 it might be down to $3 a watt in quantities.

keep in mind that this is based on present circumstances that are known, but predicting the future is difficult as we don't know what country may suck the market dry next due to really nice incentives. hopefully it will be the u.s.a.. wishfull thinking i suppose right now, but it could happen.