Mounting Whisper 200 to mast

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Hi to the group....I am mounting my Whisper 200 to a Rohn 25 tower and the mast is 2 inch diameter. The Whisper diagrams point to a mast that has a inside diameter of 2 1/2 inches. My question is what method has been used to convert the 2 inch tower mast to diameter to 2 1/2 inch?....do you use a 2 1/4 and then move up to a 2 1/2 inch in short sections above the tower?....2 inch is the largest diameter mast that the tower will take. Or is there an adapter available for the Whisper mounting to a 2 inch mast? Any help and or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers......Lonnie

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Mounting Whisper 200 to mast

I would contact the manufacturer first (turbine and/or tower). This is the one piece of metal that is going to hold the turbine onto the tower--and it will be subject to a lot of bending, vibration, and possible corrosion issues.

Doing this wrong will create a life-threatening condition.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Robert Lake
    Robert Lake Registered Users Posts: 9
    Re: Mounting Whisper 200 to mast

I have a 58' Rohn 25G tower also but my top section will allow me to put in a pipe of a pretty good size. You might want to buy a different top section that allows a larger pipe size. Necking down the 2.5" generator pipe to a 2" pipe would be foolhardy. That would create a weak point and keep you up at night worrying about when it would snap. The tower itself is very strong. :D