Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
interesting read, on bottled air for power plants

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/03/compressed-air-plants/

Comments

• soleil
    soleil Solar Expert Posts: 45
    Options
    Re: Bottle wind

That is interesting. Thanks for sharing it.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

hmmm. would hot air give more power?:confused::p
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Options

@Neil - You mean connect it to Washington and the state houses? Lots of hot air there and at least they could be seen as doing something useful!

The CAES looks useful. Since mother nature is already doing the same thing - think gas wells - it should be possible. When the next units get some running time on them it may be accepted.

That would be great as it would go some distance into turning solar & wind into baseline power which at present is one of their biggest drawbacks. Having to have a gas turbine operating in open cycle to back up solar and wind is not a clean solution at all!
  • peterako
    peterako Solar Expert Posts: 144 ✭✭
    Options

Interssting read but saying " combining cheap wind energy and compressed-air storage ".
    Is making me think twice about the engineer behind the project or is this to eat more money.

Plus i am not sure if owners from land around will be happy with potenial small eartquakes or the airbuble that is changing the water levels under ground.:confused:

Greetings from Greece 8)
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Plus i am not sure if owners from land around will be happy with potenial small eartquakes or the airbuble that is changing the water levels under ground.

I was wondering the same thing, about the under ground pressure changing on a regular basis, sooner or later something has to give? stress does happen:confused: